Crap Combo Amp/Cab... New Aguilar Speaker improve?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Funkize you, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Hey all, I know I've been posting a lot of questions here but bear with me! This is just a general question...

I dont know the inner working mechanics of a Cab so I may be wrong :smug:

But I have and old Crappy combo a Rogue RB-120BT(115), I am buying a New amp/cab but thought about this many a time before... Whould the sound quality increase SIGNIFICANTLY if you were to replace JUST the speaker with say an Aguilar 15" speaker? OR would JUST the speaker not be enough?

*This is a GENERAL question, I dont mean specifically for THAT model from THAT maker*
  2. Hey Funkize!!! It looks like you've got some killer basses, I checked out your profile. Do those basses and yourself a favor and get a good rig. You'll be amazed at how killer you'll sound. If you're short on dough check out the Avatar cabs, they're amazing and they're really inexpensive, don't let the price fool you, just check out some of the Avatar threads here on TB. Use your Rogue amp as a practice amp for your room. :D
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    replacing the existing speaker in the cabinet with a "better" one might sound like a great idea, but it's not. Speakers sound good when the cabinets they are in are designed to the optimal internal volume and porting required by the speaker (or something close to it). you could put the most expensive 15" driver in that box and find out it sounds like doody. your money is better spent on a good cabinet.
  4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The applicable quote from other threads:

Even a great speaker - when placed in a cabinet that is ill-suited for its specs - will sound like crap.

There's nothing special about Aguilar's speakers, they are Eminence brand, made to the specs that Aguilar requested for its cabs. The key to the Aguilar sounds is the interplay between those speakers and their cabinet designs. Either component by its self is unremarkable without the other.

If you purchase an expensive speaker for a Rogue combo, its like polishing a turd. Don't throw good money after bad.
  5. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Thanks for the answer, I knew it just sounded "Too easy" or everyone would do that...

So far I am leaning toward a Yorkville XM200T with the XC115 extension cab, so I will have 220w @ 4 ohm (210's) and 300w @ 8 ohm (115) and I hear that they work Flawlessly together.

So thanks for all your help!
  6. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Do a search on "Combo Amp". Maybe before jumping into anything you should read the Combo Amp Megathread. It's a real eye opener and it might save you some grief later on. :D :D
  7. If you find out the specs of the cab and you can find a speaker that will work better in the rogue cab it will probably sound better. The poweramp part might just suck though so I wouldnt waste the money.