Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Bassline1414, Nov 15, 2000.

1. Just got back from one, hehe. The school jazz band played the stupidest thing imaginable, a discount clothing convention! People were walking around buying cheap, $12 brands I've never seen or heard of, and we're playing on a stage, about 3/4 the size of my room. After finishing a song we got about 5 people clapping for us. It was pretty bad.....anyone else got a s*** gig story?
  2. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    2 weeks ago, my band decided to play an acoustic show of our favorite cover songs at the local "open mic night." The sound guy assured us that he would make sure we sounded good. So we quickly set up and check the levels. As soon as our first song starts, we hear this constant humming coming from the PA. The sound guy doesn't do anything about it though... He's more concerned with talking to some girl than doing his job. It wasn't until our 4th song that he finally rechecked everything and had us mixed correctly.

The crowd, which mostly consisted of our friends, didn't seem to mind. They especially liked our acoustic version of the Beastie Boys "Sabotage" :)
  3. I played with a band last summer as a sub for their bass player at a street festival in Chicago. Our opening act was Ronald McDonald, and we were followed by some freak juggling some sort of lizards. The pinnacle of my career!

4. My band was on tour in '98 and we had to drive ten hours to this gig at a skate park.To top it off I wa driving the tour mini-van/trailer.Right as we get near the park,I make a wrong turn and manage to get stuck in a field of red clay.It took all the guys in the band to lift the trailer,place wood under the tires,then snail our van out of the mire.Then when we get to our destination,the owner tells us we would only get paid by the door.Needless to say there was a small crowd and a not so cooperative tv crew.If things weren't bad enough,the few people that were there didn't care for us and the tv people kept telling us to turn down our volume.During the 3rd or 4th song our drummer breaks his snare which prompted us to end our set.The sad part was this happened more than once with some variations during the tour.
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    A local "art" movie theatre scheduled a series where a movie would be shown and a band would play afterwards. The idea was to do things like screen "Nashville" and have a country band play, screen "Amadeus" and have a string quartet play, etc.

Our night came and when the movie ended, the entire audience filed out except for two friends of ours. The management suggested we not bother to play (also we didn't get paid). I was out a couple of hours of my time, gas, $3 in tolls and a $25 parking ticket incurred during the loadin.
  6. Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    Back in high school a band asked me to fill in (there were only like 2 bass players in my high school so besides my band I did a lot of fill-ins) at a benefit they were playing for a nursing home. I said sure (it seems the best gigs come out of doing benefits). Well it turned out to be AT a nursing home. As soon as they wheeled the over-the-hill gang into the room I knew this was going to suck :eek: . After a rock song during which the entire audience (except a couple employees) held their hand over their ears. I said "Do you guys know any standards." We did Suitcase Blues (a guitar player knew the Triumph version) and Misty then called it a night.
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I don't get it. These ALL sound like great gigs to me.
  8. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    Well, I'm not sure this would qualify as a crap gig -- it was really kind of fun, but very different from anything I had ever done before or done since.

When I was playing in a band in Germany, we were hired to play for an American rodeo that was coming through on tour. We were setup right next to the arena, or corral or whatever you call those things. As the rider would come out of the chute, we would play some country number at crazy breakneck speed, and then stop dead when the rider fell off or the horn sounded. By the end of the gig everything (our instruments, amps, PA and us) were covered with a thick layer of dust. Nonetheless, we had a lot of fun doing it. That might have had something to do with the free German beer, though. :)
  9. dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I played at the grand opening of Office Depot, what goes better with office supplies than jazz band music. That was on trombone, though. I've done some crappy gigs though.

10. solo175

Jun 26, 2000
    I had my first gig a couple of days ago. Some kids at my school formed a Classic Rock club. So i decided to join since I like that kind of music. They planned to have a lunch time concert. The drummer is the president of the club. They needed a bass player and I play the bass so , why not? The guitarist is a really good musician so he plays the bass, the cello the guitar the piano and other stuff. We only practiced once, so you can imagine how we sounded. I dont know how, but one of my strings broke, so I had to borrow the guitar players bass. so on the day of the concert I had to lug my AMpeg BA-115 to school on the bus. And guess what, the period before lunch it started to rain. We decided to play anyways. our keyboard player chikens out at the last minute. luckily, we played under a covered balcony, so we didn't get too wet, but the audience did. surprisingly, a lot of people came out to watch us play, even in the rain. People told us we played really good. We played really easy songs like Hard Days Night, Sunshine of your love, pinball wizard and house of the rising sun
  11. cschenk78

Mar 12, 2000
    Watertown, NY
    Crap Gigs huh?

I've had my fair Share!

-In HighSchool, I played Jazz in front of a saucie underwear store in an art mall, $30 for 2hrs on Saturday afternoons.

-Played practically behind a wall in a Cigar Club for Fri. Happy-hours for 4 months, got sick of coughing and getting ripped off by the Shady manager - So We QUIT!

-Driving 2hours to open up for an 80's Dance night and no one really being into a DMB tribute, cuz - yea dumbass DMB wasn't even known in the 80's (that was last week)

I guess the moral is that you have to take the Bad with the Good...
  12. LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    Places not to play, The Roxy(unless your famous and can sell it out) this place and its sister club The Whisky are turnstiles for any band (bad or good) to pay $7.00 per ticket (50 tickets) and get a slot on the bill. My band has been through both turnstiles. The Whisky a gogo was the best of the 2 clubs due to sound quality and access (parking)If your in Los Angeles and you play in a good band check out these clubs Lava Lounge (as seen in the 1st Lit video) or The Gig west L.A. or The Gig Hollywood. The biggest Dive club in Hollywood is The Coconut Teazer. This club however has the best attitude for new bands also a full back line.
  13. BWB

Aug 30, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    The worst gig story I ever came across wasn't
    one of my bands, but was a band I was
    acquainted with when living in Athens, Ga about
    10 years ago.

These guys had gotten their first out of town gig,
    playing a homecoming rally at Purdue University
    in Indiana - a good 10 or 11 hour drive from
    Athens. The day before the gig, they loaded up
    the cars and took off to drive up there.

Arrived in W. Lafayette and did some sightseeing.
    Got a motel room. Next day, went over to see
    what was happening at the football stadium as
    Purdue was playing some cheeseoid creampuff
    knockover for homecoming that afternoon, and
    then they were playing a big party after the

They got to the stadium 2 hours before game
    time and found the parking lots totally empty.

Some headscratching and a quick Q&A session
    gave them the information they needed: that
    they were exactly one weekend late for their
    big homecoming gig at Purdue. Got in the cars,
    drove back to Athens. I thought this was
    absolutely hilarious, personally.

14. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    We were booked at this club a few months ago. We show up at our usual time, and there is a class reunion going on..............the class of 45 if I can remember correctly. Even though their reunion was officially over, they continued staying there chatting. So we hit the stage. We started into our usual set. Stuff like Roadhouse Blues and what not. Then about 3 or 4 songs, one of these old fogies (No offense to old people, but this dude ticked me off) comes up with a note saying that "We would like to finish our conversations so would you please turn down or quit". We quit for about 45 minutes, and then went back up and played the rest of the night. There was no energy there and we had to pull out some old Du-wop tunes. The club commander didn't show up until we were tearing down. The next night was homecoming and he wanted to know if we would play that night, so we said sure. The next night was a complete oppisite. The usually crowd for the place, digging our music, and we played a great show. (And it's great getting paid twice the amount you were expecting :D )
  15. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    Could have been worse -- if they had been a week early they would have had to turn around and make the same trip all over again the following weekend! :p
  16. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Everyone has a crap gig story. The thing to do in a bad gig situation is turn to yourselves and play for the reasons you wandered into music in the first place. If you play simply for the love of playing, you can get past the "bad gig" syndrome. They are going to happen eventually, so just learn to get by them.
  17. gweimer called it... play for yourself and they are never that bad. I've had a few that I'd like to share for humor sake...

Worst load in - snowboard comp. in La Grande OR. Out of the van onto a snow cat... up the hill... then 30 yards through the snow to a tarp on the snow... :(

Wierdest audience - Missoula Montana - One crazy homeless looking guy showed up. We played the entire set watching him do Karate moves in front of the stage! :confused:

Everyone left - Under Acme in NYC. Everyone left, the sound guy, the bartender, the other bands, the entire audience. It was like the bugs bunny cartoon when you can hear crickets between songs.

I had a lot of fun at all of those shows... and the band played really well!!!!

18. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    We played one about five years ago like that.It was during a snowstorm,so there couldnt have been more than two people there,and they didnt stay long.Worse yet was the sound guy was passed out behind the board(he had his own private "snowstorm" earlier in the evening)and he started puking all over himself.So while the bartender and owner carried him outside to get some fresh air,we played to an empty house with the sound and lights on autopilot.

On the plus side we all left the show with money in our pockets.
  19. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    at my crappy gig we played great but there was no-one there, I mean no one (not even the "band wives"). We set up to play at this local bar that was relatively new and the owner said we would get the door plus tips and free beer. What we didn't realize (until we got their and the owner told us) was that it was the first day of the local university (30,000 students)Fall Break. We had even publicized the show a lot by putting up a ton of posters around town So we set up and started playing to a completely empty room, basically hoping that someone would hear us and come on in.
    We were set to play all night (about 2.5 to 3 hours - 3 sets). We figured hey, we're bound to get someone in here when we start playing so we played on. After about the 3rd song with no one coming in we just decided to screw around and play most of our songs, but just make up new words as we went along abut playing to an empty room. This went on for most of the night, but it was fun doing complete improv and getting free beer. We ended up cutting a set out of the gig and cutting a lot of other songs out, but we didn't care. It was just like a practice on a stage. The owner did like us though (even though he didn't stay in the room with the stage to watch us :( )
    But after about 4 or 5 beers we didn't care. So I guess it wasn't a "bad" gig, just empty :D

20. gig story.

It was at my highschool for Jazz Band.

Me, the guitarist, the keyboard, and the drummer (basically the entire rythem section) all had gotten drunk a few hours before the show... so we were almost no the hangover. Set starts... and we play 2 songs. Principle wants us to stop for a sec, he says a speech for a half hour, than we play again. (This is at Back to School Nite...allthe parents are there)

After done with the speech we the entire rythem section is feeling like crap..... our keyboard turns around and throws up, hitting ALL the keys...LoL

I start missing frets like hell...hitting the wrong notes.. Guitarist knocks over music stand, and fumbles with cables, unplugging us. Takes us 2 songs to figure everything out.

Than we play one mroe song and are supposed to stop. By now the entier band is cracking up. Entire band stops playing after last song, and Principle is supposed to stop.

Well I decide I'm going to play the next song in the setlist, cause the guitar is tripping me out going "1, 2, 3, 4!" so i play...and the keyboard follows suit. was bad.

But hell was fun!