Crap. I need a clutch.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike Money, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Ya... I need a new clutch. 200k miles on the original one.... can't argue.

I've heard some people say they get away with the $80-$120 clutch kits from autozone with no problem, though i cant seem to actually find a clutch in that price range.

How much $ am I looking at? I can get a free-$50 install, so im not worried about that.

and for those who dont know and are bored enough to search for parts....

1992 toyota truck.... 4x4.... 5 speed... 3.0 V6.

so ya. mike n!
  2. fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    my toyota clutch I got from the dealer it was 200-250 figured it was worth the cash cause the factory one lasted so long, how you getting it installed for 50 bucks? getting a real good friend to do it? when i did mine it was a 6 or 7 hour job
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I would replace the flywheel as well. By the time you replace the ring gear and resurface the friction surface, you might as well buy another one. So, get the full kit with the pressure plate, friction disc, flywheel. Don't lose the alignment too, and be sure the pilot bearing is replaced as well. Also, put some grease inside the cup of the crankshaft behind the flywheel and pilot bearing.

I have done it twice on my truck. The first one was messed up by not replacing the flywheel (the polished surface didn't grip well) and an oil leak which ruined the friction plate. Then, after fixing all the leaks and then re-replacing the clutch (and doing the flywheel this time) my clutch is perfect. The coolest thing to see was that, inside of the pilot bearing cup, there was fresh grease. This stuff was in there since the truck was built in March of '85. That means that my engine has not been abused too much. I have seen some where the pilot bearing was not there anymore, and a fine steel powder was left in it's place. I love my truck.

BTW, I did my clutch in about 4 hours. But I am an experienced mechanic, and had access to all the tools I needed.
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Clutch Kit (Pressure plate, friction plate, pilot and throwout bearings) 150 at advanced or schucks or whatever permutation you have near you. Flywheel is 70 bucks.
  5. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004

just give her the she goes...

i got a jeep and i've needed a clutch for ages. i just shift without it..
  6. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    21 Guns

Box Made o' Pine

Letter from the Government
    -Sealed and Signed

Delivered Federal Express

To your mother's doorstep
  7. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I'd be tempted to go for the oe Toyota clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing and pilot bushing. They lasted 200K, and I can't see the Autozone cheapo doing that. Spend the extra $ and have peace-of-mind that you used decent quality stuff that will last.

As far as the flywheel, either re-surface what you have or replace it. With 200K on the clock, I'd be tempted to replace it.

Whatever you do, make sure all the pieces in there get changed, not just the clutch plate and pressure plate. The pilot bushing and throwout bearing are of mucho importance.
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The Lord of all things automotive has spoken. Do just so Mr. Money. :D

9. I just got done replacing the clutch in my friend's 91 Mazda Protege. We bought the clutch kit from NAPA for $125 with the school discount, but normal price was $216 or so without the flywheel. The flywheel ended up being so worn that we got a new one from NAPA for $40, but I don't know if that was with the school discount or not.
  10. toytech

Mar 22, 2004
    San Leandro
    Listen to mike N. also make sure you use a torque wrench on the flywheel and pressure plate otherwise clutch chatter can be a problem on these. Can't beat oem quality, if you can find it ASCO/Aisen made the originals and are available cheaper for the same stuff, the throwout bearing and pilot are nsk or koyo.
  11. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Mike, use new mounting bolts for the flywheel, so order them if the flywheel doesn't already come with them. They should be hardened and designated specifically for that purpose.

Do you have a lift or a pit available to you?