1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Crap Stingray selection

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Twice19, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Twice19

Twice19

May 27, 2018
    You can't get a stingray with a modern radius, foam mutes, 3 band eq, that doesn't have a roasted maple neck.. anymore.. and you can't get any model in a decent color, other than black and natural, IMO..

Sucks the selection that EB has for their potential customers to choose from.

Sorry, not looking for a baby blue, baby teal, yellow, or a sparkly bass.

kcolyar and Bassist Jay like this.
  2. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    I didn't know EBMM is required to create instruments with every set of specifications for every customer imaginable. Since they don't, it's almost like they're a business meant to make money.

Also, since the new EBMMs come with a hefty price tag, you could get a luthier to make you the instrument you want for a similar amount of money, and you get to customize it even further!

Dasgre0g, wmmj and Axstar like this.
  3. Twice19

Twice19

May 27, 2018
    I like the Stingray's design, and history. Lakland doesnt retire colors like EB has.

Bassist Jay likes this.
  4. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    It's a business after all, not a community service. What would be your perfect stingray then?

5. Not sure what variant you're after but there's not been a 3 band with mutes since the mid 90s.

The latest Special versions do all have roasted maple necks but can be had in white, and sunburst as well as the colours you mentioned.

If you're willing to have a 2 band Classic or Old Smoothie, you can get sunburst as well. The white seems to have been dropped - neither have roasted maple - the classic has a figured maple neck and both have mutes.

If you're willing to buy used there's quite a range of colours available. Many on the Classic were offered on rotation so you'll see quite a range.

What colour do you actually want (and be thankful it's not a Fender you're after as their colour range has always been limited unless you go Custom Shop.

kcolyar, db59, wmmj and 3 others like this.
  6. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    This post is the definition of a troll post! If you don't like them, don't buy them. There has been nothing gained by you posting this.

db59, Dasgre0g, Geri O and 4 others like this.
  7. Twice19

Twice19

May 27, 2018
    I wanted what was offered around 2011, maybe. Silver Metallic. foam mutes aren't necessary. I've emailed with EB customer service, and they never offered Custom Shop as any kind of option. They only told me that the silver was no longer available.

murphy likes this.
  8. Twice19

Twice19

May 27, 2018
    nah

Briton and Admiral Akbar like this.
  9. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I'm sure you can get whatever color and then just refinish the body.
    My beef with EB is that I would love to get a SR or SR Special HH 5 string with wide, Fender-y string spacing.
    Nope, not an option.

10. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I’m not one for sparklie or bright-colored instrinemts either, but I found Music Man offers enough of a range to satisfy me. Can’t see that’s much a reason to complain. Lots of production instrument makers aren’t able to offer a wide range of colors.

wmmj and lowdownthump like this.
  11. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Anti-tort heathen Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    40 whole posts on TB and most of them spent complaining about basses.

I hope you practice more than you complain.

12. 68DDBC7B-B0DA-4AFF-ABDD-384C783E5102.
    Problem solved.

13. Isnt there only one option? Purple w/ black pickguard? It's the only one that screams "buy me!" at least Screenshot_20180905-212303_Samsung Internet. Screenshot_20180905-212347_Samsung Internet.
    Screenshot_20180905-212251_Samsung Internet.
    See, what more do you need?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    wmmj likes this.
  14. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    I would recommend buying a used one. The new Music Man basses are ridiculously over priced but the used market is $1,200.00 or less. Buy an inexpensive one and have it repainted in the finish that you like. For the mutes, I would recommend Nordymutes from Nordstrand Audio.
    nordymute
    If you want something more kept on your bass permanently, here is a video of a gadget that you can get.

I hope that helps.

Briton, maxschrek and jd56hawk like this.
  15. FingerDub

FingerDub SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2016
    You dont know what trolling is. Calm down.

16. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    You can't get a three-band EQ? That sucks! :D

17. Twice19

Twice19

May 27, 2018
    lol

18. I wanted a Stingray with a sparkle finish and a maple neck that cost under a grand so I looked at the classified section here, Craigslist, eBay, Guitar Center.com, and finally Reverb for a few weeks until I found one and bought it. Does it have everything I wanted? No. Did I get a screaming deal? No, but I’m very happy with what I ended up with. You can spend the time or the money. Or you can settle for less than perfect. Just like everything else in life.

wmmj and lowdownthump like this.
  19. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Rants make for the best threads. :)

Admiral Akbar, FingerDub and murphy like this.
  20. Turbo Sparky

Turbo Sparky Supporting Member

May 14, 2018
    South Eastern U.S.
    There's this new thing called, wait for it, the Internet. I haven't tried it lately, but I hear one can get/order/specialize in a myriad of topics from kitty cat videos to the re-energizing of crystals, from musical instruments to tools...
    There's even a whole site dedicated to just videos...the inane to self-help, or blathering about the unavailability of a myriad of even more inane items/topics.
    I wonder if it has the banana hammock you wanted that you told me about that you were looking for?
    * Buy used.
    * Buy sand paper.
    * Buy laqre of choice.
    * Buy tools, don't be one.
    ...IMO.

P.S. There are even people who specialize in making ...shh...custom pick guards.

jackn1202 likes this.