1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Crap Stingray selection

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Twice19, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    Apologies for being a bit flippant in my first post. To some degree I think the issue really is choice, and almost too much choice, but with nothing hitting the spot. You clearly know what you want out of a Stingray.

At the same time I admire Musicman for switching up the design every once in a while, and using Neodymium magnets or whatever. I guess they simply wouldn't combine a modern radius neck with the foam mutes in a single instrument because that is just too pick-n-choose for them? I've never heard of anybody using the foam mutes in a Stingray, and they only seem to be available on their historic reissue range.

MattZilla and lowdownthump like this.
  2. Twice19

Twice19

May 27, 2018
    the foam mutes is minor. I was just hoping EB would make a modern classic. The best elements of their classic. with a modern radius, and a figured maple neck - with a decent choices of colors. Their baby blue and teal, and yellow is cheaper, and better for their profit margin?
    But Scott Ball was on another thread talking about minimal changes they'll be making, but not till 2020. so...RIP

3. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Is complaining against the rules?

What I'm seeing here is very common. A somewhat poorly conveyed thread premise followed by posts that are, on average, though not entirely, lacking in judicious application of the reply function.

soulman969, fcleff and Axstar like this.
  4. Twice19

Twice19

May 27, 2018
    Thanks? A bit verbose, but I appreciate the sentiment - I think.

metron likes this.
  5. The bass you describe is more or less exactly a 90s Stingray. The premise that if you bought one it would need fretwork doing is, however wrong as a generalisation. In many cases these can be bought in pretty good, if not immaculate condition - there are plenty of people around who have done so or continue to do so. However if you really want a silver one it would probably need to be from a few years ago (without mutes), a used Classic or a pre EB (inca silver is v rare - made in very small numbers such as a couple of hundred). The last two would be 2 band, have the slightly rounder (7.25 in) fretboard radius - I have both and honestly, it doesnt make much difference (certainly for me anyway).

The mutes are a useful feature and maybe I'm the exception, but I have used them in several situations - it's a good design providing flexibility and they're v useful for recording. If you look at how many people use a foam mute on basses, you get a picture of how useful having them available on a Stingray is.

Looks like you've got lots of options there, however all used at the moment.

lowdownthump and MattZilla like this.
  6. Twice19

Twice19

May 27, 2018
    Yeah you're right a 90s Stingray is ideal, so is inca Silver. I'm not into the cheaper cuts of wood they use on their non-classic stingray necks, roasted or not.

I wouldnt buy a used bass online. Hopefully something surfaces locally.
    I live so close to SLO I wanted to support them, but I ain't gonna settle on something from their current crap selection.
    Oh well.

7. I guess they can't please all of the people all of the time - some of us have been waiting for sparkle finishes to be reintroduced for nearly 20 yrs so and have been quite stoked there are some in the standard selection (they've done two or three limited edition variants before) - I've just bought new 4 and 5s in the Special series - they truly are excellent basses - although you'll get a roasted non figured neck (an awesome playing one at that), some of the natural and sunbursts which people have posted pictures of have great ash figuring on the bodies.

If you keep looking something will pop up which fits the bill!!

jd56hawk and lowdownthump like this.
  8. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Anti-tort heathen Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Of course it’s not against the rules. It’s just kind of obvious when it seems a member sole intent is to complain about things.

9. JZQuantum

JZQuantum Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Not 100% sure, but EBMM will make a custom bass you if you request, no? I thought they did anyways.

10. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    It is wood, not meat. How do you quantify 'cheaper cuts' in this context?

11. Edmang

Edmang Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2013
    MA
    Any hostility is brought upon by yourself in your messages. Saying "I ain't gonna settle on something from their current crap selection." invites this. If you just said "I ain't gonna settle on something from their current selection." it would not bring the hostility to you.

lowdownthump likes this.
  12. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Nope!!:rollno:

13. JZQuantum

JZQuantum Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Right, I see now. But they do still have a 3 band pre amp, so I am confused about the OP's post in that regard.

lowdownthump likes this.
  14. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Their best "modern classic" IMO was the standard series pre-2018 with a 2 band preamp. That way you got the contoured body, oil&wax finished neck, modern radius, no mutes (seriously, stuff a piece of foam), no string through body (thank god) and most importantly - 2 band Stingray preamp. Figured neck? Nah, I'll take a solid, stable neck over fancy figuring any day. I have one like that, it's killer.

2018 Specials are revamped 3 banders. For a classic 2 band tone, you gotta spring for the Classic series this time. And I bet Big Poppa would say that 2 band standard Stingrays didn't sell nearly as much as the 3 band versions did. But I would say that's because most of your typical buyers don't have the knowledge and generally think that more is better (obviously, some do prefer the 3 band).

JZQuantum likes this.
  15. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles

lowdownthump and Axstar like this.
  16. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Clearly there is only one person in this thread talking crap.

17. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    I'm a SR5 junkie to say the least. I'm not really a fan of the new colors but it doesn't matter. There's such a selection of killer used stingray's that practically anything is possible. I just bought a used 2000 SR5 from right here in the classifieds and after a bit of a cleaning you'd be hard pressed to say it wasn't new. I just wouldn't hesitate to buy a Stingray used without playing it. Actually, I've had close to ten stingray's of various sorts all bought used from talkbass and they've all been superb.

JZQuantum and lowdownthump like this.
  18. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    If you’re a fairly high profile endorsing artists, they might.

JZQuantum likes this.
  19. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    If you're Tony Levin, you just grab one off the rack.

liverbird likes this.
  20. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Maybe now, but back in the day, you had them build you a 3-string. ;)

DeliriumTremens and bovinehost like this.