1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Crap Stingray selection

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Twice19, Dec 2, 2018.

1. HE does:
    source.

Twice19 likes this.
  2. Twice19

Twice19

May 27, 2018
    Irrelevant
    Compared to EB basses available in the past

3. 58kites

58kites Save a life....adopt a Pitbull

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    Totally relevant...if you know you can't get what you want new and you refuse to buy a used bass, then there was no point in starting a thread other than to throw a public tantrum.
    And like a child, you've gotten plenty of attention from the rational adults and the owner/management of the company you are whining about, and you've gotten plenty of advise on how to solve your complaint, and you want none of it.
    At this point, I think you are just here to argue.
    Again, maybe you should try being a little more flexible and you might end up with a great bass you love (...more rational advise).

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    lowdownthump likes this.
  4. Twice19

Twice19

May 27, 2018
    lol . nah that was exactly the point - to express what i'd like to see from the company. I should've expected that I'd trigger a bunch white knights with more dollars than cents(sense). :dead:

kcolyar likes this.
  5. BigDrew

BigDrew

Jun 1, 2016
    LI-NY
    Why is anyone responding to this trolling?

Lesfunk, lowdownthump and mdogs like this.
  6. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I'm not sure you're quite right there. EB has always switched up colors and I'm pretty sure they don't offer less colors now, just different colors that aren't to your liking. Hell, they might even be offering a bigger choice of colors nowadays, but I can't say that for sure and don't feel like researching that. I'm not crazy about the new neon Play Doh colors, and I don't go for sparkly colors either, but the classic colors are always there. I'd like vintage pastel colors that Classic series used to offer, but oh well, they don't anymore.

Twice19 likes this.
  7. Well it appears Fender have just reannounced a Stingray copy in inca silver (it disappeared off the radar mid year whilst EBMM was busy selling lots of upgraded and improved Stingrays in a multitude of colours) - oh wait you posted there as well. So you have the choice of a used Stingray or a new Fender copy in exactly the colour you want - no need to post here any longer then - btw would you possibly get employee discount on the Fender?

lowdownthump likes this.
  8. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Oh, you clever rascal! You really got one over on us! So clever, so very clever.

wizard65 likes this.
  9. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    No one was more disappointed than I was when I heard EBMM was going to change up its business model and no longer offer certain features or colors. But from a manufacturing and inventory perspective, consider how much of a nightmare it must have been maintaining production. Think about this. One model - the Stingray 4. One color - Black. 2-3 years ago, this is what was available (MHS = Matching Head Stock):

- H / Maple / 2-band EQ
    - H / Rosewood / 2-band EQ
    - H / Fretless / 2-band EQ
    - H / Maple / 2-band EQ / MHS
    - H / Rosewood / 2-band EQ / MHS
    - H / Fretless / 2-band EQ / MHS

- H / Maple / piezo
    - H / Rosewood / piezo
    - H / Fretless / piezo
    - H / Maple / piezo / MHS
    - H / Rosewood / piezo / MHS
    - H / Fretless / piezo / MHS

- H / Maple
    - H / Maple / MHS
    - HH / Maple
    - HH / Maple / MHS
    - HS / Maple
    - HS / Maple / MHS

- H / Rosewood
    - H / Rosewood / MHS
    - HH / Rosewood
    - HH / Maple / MHS
    - HS / Rosewood
    - HS / Rosewood / MHS

- H / Fretless
    - H / Fretless / MHS
    - HH / Fretless
    - HH / Fretless / MHS
    - HS / Fretless
    - HS / Fretless / MHS

That's 30 variations of essentially the same bass. Don't forget, EBMM also offered a SLO neck option so double it. Now we are talking 60 variations of the same bass. They also offered six pickguard options: white, black, tort, aged pearl, black pearl and white pearl. So now we are looking at 360 different SKU numbers for a 4-string black bass. At the time, I think they offered six or seven different color options. Let's use six. We are now at 2,160 different SKU numbers and this is just for one model bass - a 4 string Stingray! This makes little sense but applaud EBMM for sticking it out as many years as they did.

So does it suck not being able to custom configure a Stingray? At times but what's the alternative? At best, it's the ability to buy a new Stingray knowing you are still getting a high quality instrument. At worst its relying solely on the used market and hoping something nice pops up. For the record, while I miss a being able to get one with a painted head, I feel EBMM did an awesome job with its color offerings. Those sparkle finishes look great! Needless to say, if you can't find a color you like in the new line-up, you were never really interested in a Stingray in the first place.

10. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Deserves repeating.

68Goldfish and BIGEJ2 like this.
  11. FingerDub

FingerDub SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2016
    I agree. The colors suck.