crap, test

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tym2cu_bass, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Man, this sux...

I'm a ninth grader in high school and I'm taking Biology 1. No big deal, but we have a student teacher teaching us this section and she's not the brightest. The test is tomorrow and its on the cell cycle, mitosis, ATP, ADP, AMP, and cell solutions....
    what the heck is ATP!?!?!

I'm a good student, but I'm goin to fail this test cuz the student teacher doesn't quite know how to teach yet, anyone else had this problem?
  2. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Step 1: Go to library get book

Step 2: Open book

Step 3: Read book

Step 4: Absorb information

Step 5: Pass test

Its really not that hard to you expect to be spoon fed everything by your teachers?
  3. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Yup. Got a sociology test tomorrow. I dread this one, as my answer sheet for the last test approached 10 pages of single spaced 10 point type.

Great, interesting subject, but I hate that I can't devote as much time to it as I'd like due to my other (more important to what I'm doing with my career) studies taking most of my time and energy.

Oh well, guess i better get back to it.
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    "Now students, whose calculator can tell me what 7x9 is?"

"OH! OH! Low battery??"

ah, close enough
  5. In the accounting program here, I haven't had an accounting prof. that could lecture. We review our homework for an hour then time's up. I hate paying tuition for something I could do on my own.
  6. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    where's that smiley playing a violin when you need it?

seriously man, sucks that you have a bad teacher, but no need to start a thread about it

grab your text book and/or go the library and study
  7. Here you go Clay! [​IMG]

Yes, shut down your computer and/or, do a google search on ATP and study!

8. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    ATP = adenosine triphosphate
    ADP = adenosine diphosphate
    AMP = adenosine monophosphate

ATP is what your body stores most of it's energy in. As the phosphates are removed energy is released and you have energy. No more phosphates is bad.
  9. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    ::mr burns voice on::

::mr burns voice off::
  10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
  11. slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    think of it like this.... you have these phosphates stuck together. When these are broken off, raw energy is released. kinda like the raw energy you get when snapping a stick, and you hear the SNAP. (this is sound energy, but raw nonetheless)
  12. slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    haha, you are from oregon, too. Fun stuff. I am also doing bio over in salem, but we did all of that stuff last semester. yeah, remember that during respiration, most of the ATP is made during the ETS, like 32 or so (electron transport system) while little is made during the Kreb's cycle (around 2) or Glycolysis (2 atp as well)

Cellular respiration - steps in order
    Glycolysis - renders 2 atp - this step breaks down C6 sugar molecules (monosacharides) into two c3 sugar molecules

Calvin Cycle - The C3 molecules rendered in glycolysis are now put into the Krebs cycle where some stuff happens, and 2 atp are made. More importantly, though, Phosphates are hooked up with NADs and FADs (vitamin b complexes) to create NADphs and FADphs. These are important, and follow through to the next step.

ETS (electron transport system) - about 32 ATP are made in this cycle - The NADph and FADphs made in the Calvin cycle are now entered into the ETS. During the ETS, the phosphates that are hooked up the the NADs and FADs are broken off to create energy (ATP). This happens over and over again, making lots of ATP

now this is a really simplified version of cellular respiration, but i hope it helps

13. Once again Mike, we're all refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view... ;)
  14. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    It's not unique.

Bio sucks ;)
  15. Yeah, my school is like that.
  16. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    My sister is a Bio major- I am a Music major... we clash a lot.
  17. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    You are more than welcome.
  18. country_boy

Apr 13, 2004
    Houghton, MI
    You're just lucky that your teacher's first language is English. I've had a few very intelligent profs that I had to go totaly off what they wrote on the board because of their thick accents.
  19. Even if English is a first language it doesn't mean that what they'll say will even make sense anyway! I've had a few Science-based teachers who make very little sense due to poor English. Very frustrating.

20. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    No offense, but the teacher knows more than you do. ;)

Isn't there a textbook for the class?