Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crap this is hard

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Anybody here perfected the pinky muting technique? I can't play 16ths above 70bpm using it :D

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Would this be lying your right hand pinky across the strings while playing?

3. Yeah. Rest your plucking hand's pinky close to the bridge, and play like you normally would. It's really...uh.."unorthodox".

4. I tried that before, it was as an alternative to regular muting, didn't like it. If you can keep the focus you can pluck nearly as normal, just with your pinky floating way out on as few strings as possible (hence the need for the focus, cause you gotta think when you're changing to strings not covered). Kinda leaves my ring finger without a lot of space but you get that.

Doesn't give me the real fat mute sound that I want if I'm going to mute, dratted scrawny pinky.

Dunno how fast I can go with the pinky technique, might take the metronome out for a spin later.

Josh D

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I do that for some grooves, but not extensively.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I tried it before, but if I want a cool mute sound, it's all about palm muting with a pick. But while using this technique, I was playing at my normal tempo and didn't have a problem.:meh:

7. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Ah, the right hand pinky. The most useless of all fingers.

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    what do you pick your ear with :confused: :p

9. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Q-tip

10. a REAL man uses his finger to pick his ear, not some sissy q-tip

.. :D

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yes , pinkys are gloriious in their own way.

But yes ive tried that technique, dont like it too much, but it comes in handy sometimes.