Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by SkaBoss, Aug 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ok, When i first got my bass a month ago i started useing my fingers but then i strted useing a pick and i think i used it to much and now i cant seem to get the fingering down again i keep messing up! What do i do?!
  2. Start by practising with your fingers and dont use a pick till u have got it right. it should come with practise :)
  3. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    This is a joke yes?

Why not just practice bass more?! :)
  4. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    yes. practice.

5. Hi Skaboss,

I've never used a finger exercising device, but before I did I think I'd want to check out whether it was actually going to be of any benefit.
    That might initially mean doing a search here for any other threads covering similar topics, talking to other experienced bass players etc before handing over your hard earned cash.
    The other thing I'd want to do if I then decided to use one would be to make very sure I wasn't going to cause injury to myself at some point in the future by using it...if you're going to play bass your hands and arms are precious - treat them with care.

For the finger technique thing slow and steady wins the day. Relax, don't rush ( even though you might want to ), keep practicing and you'll get there.

ps - if you don't have a teacher yet, consider finding one. They should be able to help a lot with that sort of thing.
  6. Stick with one technique; it's either fingering or picking.
    That's the only way to get one technique really familiar to you.
  7. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
  8. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Why would you choose to limit yourself like that? If you want to be a working bassist, you'd better know how to play with both to some degree.
  9. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    While some finger exercizes may be good, I personally do not think that finger exercize devices are worthwhile. Playing a piano is a good finger exercize, but then again so is playing the bass.
  10. I agree with thrash jazz people would be more impressed if you can play different way's and anyway's its only been a month since you started you have ages to learn every technique.
  11. Please don't use those "finger exercisers". They won't give you the dexterity (sp?) that you want to be able to reach, and may in fact slow you down more. Just practice with a meteronome at a very slow beat (50bpm) and gradually increase the bpm, while plucking with your plucking hand.

And why would you limit yourself to something like sticking to one technique? It never hurts to be good at more than one thing, and is especially helpful if you plan to become a professional musician. The more versatile you are, the more opportunities you will have.
  12. Ok, you'll probably ignore my remark, but this is just my personal philosofy. :rolleyes:
    I recently sworn to only using fingers and progress extremely on only using this technique, cause I also am picking up tapping.

You can either stick with the way you're more comfortable with, or you can practice at doing both, wathever you think is worth it.
  13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    be very careful about using finger weights. robert schumann, one of the foremost romantic-era pianists (early 1800's) would practice with splints on his hands, a form of resistance to strengthen his fingers. unfortunately, he injured himself which caused him to be unable to perform anymore.

you should not have to use any kind of fingerweights whatsoever to gain hand strength. there is no easy way to strengthen your hands for your instrument, really, other than just practice. make sure you are warmed up and stretched, and don't over do it - if you injure yourself, it's only going to take longer to get strong.
  14. It doesn't help if you have a gonglia either.
  15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I disagree - nearly all of the pros I meet are definitely one or the other - they have their style and stick with it.

So like, I can't imagine Marcus Miller using a pick, but I can't imagine Steve Swallow not using a pick. If people think of Carole Kaye's "sound" it is with a pick and James Jamerson's was always just his finger. I could go on and name hundreds of well-known pro bassists who use only one or the other.

Personally nowadays, nothing would convince me to use a pick - no matter how much money I was offered or how good a job - to me bass playing is all about fingerstyle - picks are for guitarists! ;)
  16. Amen, that's what I'm thinking also.

I'm in a band an we are writing our own songs.
    So I'm using the same technique so you can devellop your own style.
  17. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    So, we meet again Bruce! ;) :cool:

That may be "their sound" that people know of. However, does this mean that Steve Swallow never bothered to learn to play with his fingers, and that Marcus Miller can't use a pick?

All of the players you referred to have "their sound" established, so people probably come to them because they want that particular sound. However, if you or I were doing a gig with someone like a solo artist, they'd want their own sound. This sound is always different, so it's good to have as many techniques as possible under your belt. IME, the pick sound is wanted fairly often.

For instance, when Brian Beller auditioned with Steve Vai some years ago, he was put through a rigorous trial to test his versatility, including a specific demand for pick-playing.

Don't get me wrong; absolutely nothing wrong with doing just one or the other, but I don't think learning to play with a pick hurts your fingerstyle playing, or vice versa.
  18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

But that's very different from saying : "If you want to be a working bassist, you'd better know how to play with both to some degree."

Clearly there are working bassists who use only one or the other.
  19. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    You're absolutely right - I worded that rather poorly. What I meant was that, depending on the gig, it might be advantageous to know both techniques. It definitley isn't necessary to know both, but I've always found being as diverse as possible to be a plus.

Game, set and match for Bruce :(
  20. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    jesus, bruce. Are there any cans of whupass left or did you just open up the last one? ;)

great thread btw.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.