Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

CRAP!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bassline1414, Dec 12, 2000.

1. Hey guys, I need a little help....

I was playing my Yamaha RBX60 fretless, which besides for a small buzzing problem (see thread "D'OH! Got a tiny problem...) is working fine. Anyways, I noticed that the volume knob was becoming a little loose so I took it off, and tried to seperate the two metal pieces to tighten it up a little bit, which I have done before on all of my basses and guitars. But this time, something bad happened. I was doing what I normally do, and one of the metal peices popped off! So needless to say, I think I need a new volume control thing. Does anyone know where I can obtain one of these? Thanks in advance....

2. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    CCCCCCCRRRRRAAAAAAPPPPPPP AGAIN!!!!! I did the same thing to my Ibanez sr885. Except I snapped the whole damn knob of on one of the stacked pots. Now I'm left without my secondary bass(I know, I know)and the thing I'm most worried about is I'll have to take it to a tech. Then chances are he won't have the damn part and he'll have to order it(something like what..6 to 8 weeks w/ luck?). I think were both in the same boat and misery loves a shipmate.....HELP US OUT!!!!!!

3. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Sounds like the "two metal pieces" are the split shaft on your volume pot(?). If this is correct, and you know how to solder, no big deal. Replacements can be found at most music stores or your local Radio shack. They come in two main ratings, 250k for passive electronics, 500k if your bass is active. Less than $10.

4. Thanks JohnL, that's exactly what I was looking for.

5. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

Bassline, if you check at your local Radio Shack, They should have a relacement knob with a setscrew that holds the knob on. As long as one side of the shaft is intact, you cab use the broken piece as a shim to help fill the hole in the knob. Put a couple of pieces of a paper match between the broken part and the good part. Tighten the set screw and it will hold till you can get a replacement.

Those pots are real easy to disassemble and put back together. The shaft can be replaced if you can find a junked pot with a good shaft. Any guitar shop will probably have a new pot but have a minimum labor charge which is usually more than it's worth to just replace a pot. You can buy all the tools you need for less than 15 bucks. fifteen minutes with some scrap wire and a soldering iron and you never have to worry about bad pots again.

Hope this helps.

Fixer, If you can build your order to at least $25.00, Those pots are available from Stew-Mac. They have a mininimum order. You can order a roll of solder and a hemostat at the same time. You'll find it to be an easy repair.

Johnl

Great minds think together. :):) I agree with all you said except using radio shack pots. They will work but they are VERY low quality pots. They work fine till the right parts can be found though.

Pkr2

6. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Your right, I should have prefaced that Radio Shack isn't the most desirable place, but since he was "bassless", I knew at least he could get one there if the local music store didn't carry it.

7. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    pkr2, when you say easy for $25 dollars how easy do you mean? Can you elaborate any? Thanx man.

8. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Well, it's easy mechanically because there are only 3 wires to unsolder and solder onto the new pot and one nut to remove and replace. Maybe 4 wires if the pot has a ground wire soldered to the back of the pot.

It's easy to buy all you need to do the job for under $25.00 because a soldering iron will cost you around $10.00, a coil of solder,less than $6.00 and the pot around $8.00.

It probably will take you about 30 minutes to do the job.

If you meant to elaborate on how to actually do the work, I'll be glad to, but it's pretty self explanatory.

Pkr2

9. Wow, $8 for just one 250k

I got 5 of them from MF for a total (S&H included) of $23.00.

10. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Wow, you missed another glaring error in my post.

It will actually take nineteen minutes and thirty four seconds to do the job. :)

The word "around" before the price was meant to indicate that the price was an estimate.

The last input jack that I bought at a local music store cost ten bucks. The exact same jack from Stew-Mac lists for five bucks and change. I have found that prices tend to vary widely on small items, depending on where they're bought.

The prices that I gave for the soldering iron and solder aren't meant to be taken as exact prices either.

Pkr2