Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crappiest bass you've scored on ebay?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Planet Boulder, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Just wondering if anyone has managed to snag a worse bass than the crapper I picked up recently. Saw the pics of it and, since I could get it for less than a hundred, shipping included, I went for it. Figured I'd just use it for a project when I got bored. Sadly, NOTHING on it is worth using.

It's an old Kent jazz "sunburst" which is, as I discovered, merely a foto-flame on plywood monstrosity.

The neck is gauged to hell and the inlays are excrement. Added to this indignity is the fact that the previous (obviously drunk, 14 years old or both) owner managed to scrawl "Jason is Captian (sp) Zapp" into the pickguard.

The neck is not usable, the body is an embarrassment and everything else associated with the thing is utter garbage. i will be nailing this to my basement ceiling for use in mockery and shenanigans.

Pics....

2. I'm almost 55 and Kents were trash when I was a kid and it sure sounds like yours is a stinkin' POS, although somewhat newer.

3. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Call it a dumb impulse buy. I was bored and ebay beckoned, taking advantage of my weakened, G.A.S.-filled state.

On the bright side, I got a free cardboard box and some packing materials out of the deal! WOO-HOO!!!!!!

4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Two words...

Wish

Bass..

;)

5. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    You could always Re-bay it.

6. braindead0

braindead0

Feb 7, 2004
    Take it out to the shooting range, make sure to bring video camera.. and extract your monies worth ;-)

7. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Ebay junk? I'd say this Copley is closest...
    [​IMG]
    it sounds alright, but something weird going on with the neck. It might only need a luthier's care, but I no longer care to put time into it. I'm keeping it for friends who want to play a bass; better this than them grabbing a Jazz or the Alembic.

8. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    yEP! I hear ya loud and clear:

[​IMG]

.... and you know what, I 'Re-Bay'd'... I think that we will hear from the 'new' owner somewhere in this thread, cause after the 1st week of 'oh my g0sh, what an awesome bass'. He emailled me after that week saying that he thought it was a POS.

eBay teaches lessons on impulse buys in funny ways.

9. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    A friend suggested I stick some rusty strings on it and crap bridge and ceremoniously burn it ala Hendrix at the next gig.

But what a waste of a crappy bridge and rusty strings! :eek:

10. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Hmmm, the thumbrest looks usable....

11. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Me too, Wish Bass.

12. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    just for the record jason IS captain zapp, ive seen it and its impressive.

13. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    i am at school right now, but when i get home i will show you the worst bass i have...which i got off of ebay.

14. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
  15. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

I'll pay shipping if you want to give it to me.

16. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Jerome, You didn't like the Fishbone? Do tell.

I used to have a GTB 356 It was not horrible. I would have liked it better if it. came with Barts, though

I'm at work right now. I'll post a pic of my crappiest bass when I get home.

17. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    May I suggest using it live for one song, then destroying it? I have bought many a beater bass for the sheer intent of destroying them in a hail of glory. Get your moneys worth out of it.

18. To be fair, I should say that I purchased the bass from eBay from a former Bunker employee who was relocating. Apparently, this was his personal bass and technically not a Bunker, even though it looks just like the one on their web site.

So I got the bass and it had impossibly high action. The neck had a ton of bow; the seller told me not to do anything until he explained to me how to adjust the neck. So I waited a few days and finally he called me, explaining that I would need to turn the nut clockwise. Gee, thanks. So i did that and the action was still high; the adjustment (even to the maximum possible) did absolutely nothing. Then I found out that Bunker made bridge saddles for this bass in three different heights, and I had the highest ones. I guess the previous owner was a pick player or an incredible hulk or something. So I emailed Bunker and never got a reply. After that, I just gave up.

Today I managed to sell the Bill Lawrence pickups for $125, and I'm throwing in the bass for free. Live and learn. Aside from the fact that the bass is virtually unplayable, it looks like it was made with some nice woods.