( crappy ) BOSS PS-5 supershifter samples !!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AllodoX, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Ok.. did some simple recording of the BOSS PS-5 Supershifter.

http://www.allodox.nl/media/ps5-tremolo.mp3 [ 1.4mb ]
    This simulates a punch on the tremolo-bar of the guitar, but as you can hear it is also suitable as normal tremolo ( press + hold the pedal )

http://www.allodox.nl/media/ps5-bend.mp3 [ 1.3mb ]
    This is cool stuff :) you can do slides etc, very cool to do during slapping :D

http://www.allodox.nl/media/ps5-octaver.mp3 [ 2.1mb ]
    Ah yes.. the real work ! this pedal is the very best octaver pedal in the world. it NEVER loses track, because it doesn't track at all ! :p It bends the pitch. this is ofcourse mixable from all-clean signal to all-octaved signal. the mode used here is the " harmonist " mode.

you can also use this mode to digitally detune your bass to drop-D drop-C or even a whoppering 2 octaves lower ( inaudible :( )

signal chain used :

MTD Kingston-4 -> Boss PS-5 -> Boss ODB-3 ( for preamp / overdrive ) -> Sound Blaster Live! line-in -> Steinberger wavelab 4.0

And as i always like to note : Yes, i know i'm not the best bassplayer around. If you think you can do better, by all means.. do it, or shut the hell up and let me do my work ! ;)
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

They're downloading now on my very slow connection.
  3. b.t.w. Special credits go to Mr.Crash ( my best friend ) for the MSN-online sound at 01:19 of the octaver :D :p
  4. Jazz Ad

The bender sounds just like the one on my AX-1 B, in other words, useless. Mine has a real expression pedal to play with, but I'm still looking for anything interesting to do with it.

The tremolo bar sounds OK and is a very good idea. Less extreme settings would help, 2 tones would be more than enough.

The low octaver sounds excellent to me, but I can hear the tracking so there IS some (you actually can't really do without it). It's way better than the Boss Octaver pedal, and much better than my own (AX-1 B again). Actually much better than anything I've heard, Eventide appart.

As for high octave, it sounds great with distortion, but as a clean effect I preffer the AKAI UB-1. Clearer sound, and you can distort it while keeping a dry bass sound.

Thanks for taking the time to do this.
  5. Sounds straight up neat. Oh, this just reminded me to replace all my effects (all 3 of 'em) 9V. Anywho, cool sounds.
  6. Allo, how does it work with an Expression pedal?
  7. dunno.. i don't have an expression-pedal... :)
  8. Ofcourse it aren't very good samples, but if you combine the bender with the George Dennis phaser, you can get REALLY weird and wicked slapping sounds..
  9. Jazz Ad

Have you been able to use the bender in a band situation. I found it almost impossible. As you go out of tune, it can only be used for solo stuff and even there, I4ve never found any interest to it.

I use a lot of wah when I slap.
  10. I use the bender for the intro... i press and hold it on a -2 octave mode on the open E string with the phaser in minimum rate and maximum depth with full feedback ( almost bassballs like ).. giving a really deep, atmospherical sub-bass.. then the sound fades in, you get some weird stuff ( the usual intro itty bits like heardbeat-sounds, a so-called " shifter shake " and other stuff like whispering voices that are impossible to understand and other spooky stuff ) and then when i release the pedal, it ends up in the normal open E, which is also the first note of our song " Carbon based life-form " :)
  11. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    That was fun, thanks for sharing! Seems to be quite a bit of delay before the octave signal is heard though, I think I'll stay with my EBS pedal for the time being. But I'll go try the PS-5 in my local store, seems like there are some fun possibilities.
  12. Erm........ I just tried to download those samples, but the site's down :confused:

I am really interested in the PS-5 too!
  13. yeah, I tried downloading too, and had the same results as parrott.
  14. server is being migrated.. site is down.. next week server up again.. :)
  15. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I just bought a PS-5 on ebay. I thought it was coming with a manual, but it didn't.

So, I'm really interested in it for it's pitch shifting, going down a half or full step using the PS-5. Although all the other stuff (tremelo arm, flutter) is very cool and I will use that also. :D

But when I use the pitch shifter it seems to add a very fast tremelo like effect. Problem is, without the manual I'm kind of stuck. And the boss web site is no use as they don't appear to have manuals for download.

Here's how i have it set.
    Mode : pitch shifter
    Pitch : -1
    HR KEY: shouldn't matter for pitch shift, right?
    Balance: Both are all the way to the right.

Any suggestions/ideas?
  16. again I try to download the wav files and I come up with the same error.
  17. urgh.. that's right i forgot..
  18. you should turn the top knob way to the left and the lower knob to the right.. and put it in harmonizer mode.. it's slightly better than the pitch shifting
  19. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Will the new sound files be up soon? I am interested as well :)

Thanks X