Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Crappy" Car Audio

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Questions in RED!
    ==============================================

Anyway, I know for a fact thay my former rental car's speakers are definately on the way out, the volume changes frequently when I have the volume turned up. (Meaning the music cuts from very loud, to very low, and then right back.) So, I'm planning on upgrading my car stereo... Just, on a budget.

So, 'budget' means Wal-Mart, right?

Well, in my case, yes. So I headed on over there tonight, just to browse around, and get an idea of how much money I could blow on this project. Turns out, not too much.

I drive a four-dour 200 Grand Am, so I'm looking into 6x9 for the back dash, and a 5" for the front kick panels. I'm also wanting a Subwoofer, which leads to my first question. I was told by a few guys that I think know just-a-tad more than I do when it comes to car audio, and they have said that a 10" woofer would be better than a 12", because the bass can tend to get a little muddy with the extra 2". True, or False???

Yeah, so, anyway...

I think I'm going to side with the Sony Xplod system over the Pionier system. Both of them are EXTREMELY identical in sound with similarly priced head units. I believe both brands peak at 240w and are 4-way for the 6x9's. The 5's, IIRC, peak around 130w and are 2-ways. However, IMO, the Xplod system has a stronger mid prescence, and I prefered the Sony head unit to the Pionier. However, I don't know anyone that has had experience with either... Have any of you encountered these items before???

Lastly, I don't know too much about car audio, and I need to know if I need to run an amplifier with a sub woofer. For now, I plan to just have one 10" or 12", but later, I may add another and may fab a custom wood enclosure. Anyway, i believe the subs peak around 220w for the 10" and 240w for the 12"

So... Anyone have any comments??? I apologize for the long post, but hey, I highlighted the questions to make it "easy." I appreciate ANY answers to my questions, ESPECIALLY those that are helpful =P.

PS. I'm not toally sure of the wattage ratings on any of the items, I knda just guessed =/.

Thanks,
    ~Ryan

2. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    1) I would agree with the 10" sub being clearer, I'd definitely go with that.

2) The Sony and Pioneer systems will both be reliable, nice-sounding systems for your car. Just pick whichever sounds better to you, based on the type of music you listen to. I'd pick whichever has the most versatile EQ, though I imagine both of these systems have just a bass, mid and treble control?

3) If you get a sub you will need an amp, and you also need to make sure that the head unit has a 'sub out' plug at the back, usually this is a double RCA plug that you connect through an amp and into the sub. The cheapest X-plod amp will be fine for this (100 or 200W I think?)

I'm not familiar with American cars at all, but if you have a sedan then the 6x9"s will most likely provide you with MORE than enough bass, because it uses the trunk area as a bass box. If it is a hatchback then a sub will probably be necessary for bass response.

In your situation I'd pick Sony everything. Even though I consider them pretty ugly, Sony systems are always rock-solid reliable and have reasonable sound quality. I don't think you'll have any problems there. Oh and if you have any electronics know-how at all (and a set of mini screwdrivers) then install the head unit and maybe the 6x9"s yourself, it's usually not too hard. The 5" speakers in the door I would leave to a pro.

3. I've actually got pretty damn decent skills for a beginner, I installed a head unit on my 84 Monte last year.

I do have a four-dour sedan, and I would add the sub woofer later, and only if needed. I do think I will just stick with one 10" for now, and the smallest, cheapest priced amplifier as well. I mean, I'm not gonna try to shake the parts off of my car.

I am planning on purchasing in the Specialty series for all my equiptment.
    [​IMG]"CDX-7715X" head unit. ~$200(US)

[​IMG]"XS-LD105P5" sub woofer. ~$200(US)

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Dunno if it's important to you or not, but I believe all pioneer heads have a conveniently accessible front auxiliary input for plugging iPods and the like in. But, the Sony one is probably has aux in capabilities as well, and if you're home installing you can rig up your own system that works for you. If that is a concern.

I bought a pioneer head for my old jeep, it was only $100 or so, sounded fine, controls were fine, and it had the aux input on the front for my iPod, which made it very nice to have.

5. I'm not trying to downplay Pionier systems at all, I hope I didn't come off that way. Actually, the head I put in my Monte Carlo before I sold it was a 1998 model Pionier head unit. Improved the stereo very much.

If I could afford an iPod to plug into my car, I'd love to have an access point. However, since I'll be doing the install in my driveway, I should be able to rig one up through the Sony anyways. Hopefuly somewhere down the road I'll be able to afford an iPod... Maybe I'll have to go and buy an American Fender at the next GC sale, lol. Maybe I'll rig up a 1/4" input as well for the AUX, so I can just sell my bass amp, and use my car and computer =P!

~Ryan

6. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Yeah a front AUX input would be very handy for an ipod, I have one and I used to have a cable running from the input at the back towards the front of the car and coming out under the glovebox. It ran all the way along the middle of the car and came up just behind the handbrake, so I could sit the ipod between the front seats. Worked well. Unfortunately someone else thought my head unit was nice too, so they took it.

7. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    My Wal*Mart rig works fine by me (by Wal*Mart rig, I mean cheapie replacement speakers after the stock ones blew out).

8. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Have you looked around online for prices? You can afford much better equipment if you're up to ordering online. $200 for a Sony sub is a lot of money, I personally use a single Infinity Perfect 10" in my car and I love it -- the driver was well under $150 online.

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    My Wal-Mart rig works good for me too (and by Wal-Mart rig I mean that I stole some speakers out of the ceiling from the overhead intercom system and installed them as speakers in my car).

brad cook

10. I pulled the price from the XPlod website, so it's not ther retail. That's why I put the "~" in front, which I believe means approximately. The actual price of the 10" Specialty series sub is $120.

~Ryan