Crappy MIM Fender P-bass neck.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SullyB, Jan 5, 2006.

1. SullyB

Nov 22, 2005

I have an MIM Fender that I have been upgrading and I think that I need to change out hte neck now, or at least preform some kind of repairs or something. Whenever I pick the open A string really hard there is an annoying ringing present. Also, the fretted G note on the D string does not seem to sync up with the fretted G on the E string. It really annoys me. I THINK that the problem with the open A strign is with the string nut. But the D string issue is a quandry. :help: :confused:

I hope that these aren't stupid questions, but I really want the best sound possible.

2. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    get it professionally set up dude... tell the luthier ALL the issues you're having.. then see how it is..
  3. julo

Jan 18, 2005
    Boulder, CO

4. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    When Australia and France say to see a pro, ya gotta take the advice :ninja:

+1 = Get the bass set up. It sounds like you could have a bad nut, and fret issues, and intonation issues, or any combination of them, but there may be nothing structurally wrong with the neck.
  5. If I had to guess, I'd guess that the A string doesn't have enough windings around the tuner's post. This means there isn't enough downward pressure on the nut and the open string will have an odd sounding ring. I'm also going to guess that the intonation is off on the instrument which is why the notes don't sound right. A pro set-up and new strings should cure your problems.