Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

crash course in jazz "improv"

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Brad Barker, Apr 14, 2002.

1. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    last week during jazz band class, our teacher (who is really slack...to the point of disorganized) told the class that we are going to be playing a ceremony at the local community college monday afternoon/evening. more details as they develop, of course.

on thursday, he said that he talked to the organizers of the event and said that they wanted something smaller than the entire band, and plus we hadn't rehearsed as an entire unit for a week (too many people not showing up, etc.).

so he asked the keyboardist/drummer if he had a band who would tackle the gig. "yeah sure. we can play. blah blah blah"

i felt relieved-i thought that he was talking about a group that he had ACTUALLY put together: one not including me. then it hit me: he WAS talking about that same group including me that played at an elementary school a month/ month and half ago (see my thread "two days, two VERY different gigs").

the sax player wasn't at class that day, so we haven't rehearsed once. we haven't even played together for a month! the only thing we really did was play a 20 minute long version of "sesame street" but that involved a few other people.

we're gonna practice like no tomorrow starting 8th period...tomorrow.

and we're gonna have to know a) what time to arrive and b) which campus it is at.
    and i'll have to ask to borrow the school amp and stuff...

man, this really sucks.

i'll let ya how it went soon!

2. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    the response to this thread kinda sums up the audience's response to our show...kinda nonexistent.

today during jazz band, the sax player hands me the music we'd be playing (and then some!). it had my parts all written out already! i was so relieved. but i still improvised.

so we only had the 1.5 hour of that class for practice time for the show.

surprisingly, we were really tight. besides me not grooving so great on the first number, i played very well. i didn't take any solos. we kinda had to finish abruptly, as our keyboardist was one of the nominees for the awards!

towards the end, a woman approached us and asked for contacts (not the kind ya put in your eyes) so that we would be able to play some...show...somewhere...sometime down the line.

hopefully, she'll actually call back! i really like playing with this group.

ps-if you've read this post, eat a cookie. you earned it.

3. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    see it as a good thing.u got a woman that wants you to play somewhere.atleast u get to play a gig,ive never gotten to.good luck,thanks for the cookie.

4. lpbassics

lpbassics Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    WI
  5. YEAH! Chicks dig the jazz baby!
    *Quagmire voice on*

jiggida jiggida jigggida!!

*voice off*

Congrats on the show, its always nice when nothing bad happens.

6. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    update: nothing to add!

she must've forgotton or something. no one's mentioned anything to me, so i can only assume so.

thing is, i don't think ANYONE was diggin' the jazz. which was really disappointing: we were really good (the sax player should turn pro immediately; that's what i'd do if i were as talented as he).

the people who just so happened to be our audience sat in the auditorium and stared at the curtains instead of watching/listening to us.

and family guy is awesome. too bad i can't remember that it's still on tv!

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I know the feeling. These hep cats today just can't swing to the fly beats, y' dig?

8. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    :D

i just imagined your band (conscious agony?) in our place at the top of the stairway, looking down at the audience, who are covering their ears with a look of absolute horror and disgust.

:D

hey, you guys should play the young floridian ceremony next year!