1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Crashed the bike yesterday...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by flea claypool, Mar 18, 2009.

1. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    Ironically, paddys day was the finest day of the year so far for a spin on the bike in ireland :bag:...

so i boothed up, jacket, gloves and my lovely new helmet :smug:
    hopped onto the FMX (also have a CBR 600 rr but supermoto's suit irish roads alot better and are great for hooring) went for about 75 miles worth (thats most of a tank :smug:) and six corners from home felt the rear wheel slipping out from under me left hand bend, threw weight forward cranked on the power and locked wheel right and got FKN flicked off bout 30mph clean across another lane no cars coming thankfully, my right shoulder clipped the ditch and i kinda half spun into the field... thankfully iireland is as green as the pictures make out..

Damage done, Heavily bruised shoulder, scrathed helmet :crying:, muddy clothes, and a heor of a blood blister on the right hand :crying: the bike got away lightly, crash bungs and bobbins being scraped and thats all :)

live to ride again!!

Ride hard or go home :smug:

2. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

Pleased you survived to ride another day. If you ride you will at some point have intimate contact with the pavement. It happens to everyone. Remember, shiney side up / rubber side down!

3. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Sorry to hear bout that. :meh: Glad you're OK - way to walk away from a hi-side! :bassist:

I haven't "enjoyed" my first wreck at speed yet. I'm postponing it for as long as possible. ;)

4. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    Figured out today feckin diesel on the road!! i had no chance!! i thought it was gonna be a slow speed thing but it was over as fast as i was going!! prob closed my eys tbh :)

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, I got my season's first ride in on Sunday... was a little uneasy at first, but I did about half a tankful myself.

Glad to hear you're okay, and the bike isn't too badly bruised.

Keep on riding.

6. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Glad to hear you're ok dude.

Was in an oil spill crash myself last year(a passenger, car), people need to take resposibility when they spill this crap all over the roads.

7. Glad you are ok, I low sided at about the same speed a few years back. Not something that I want to do again. High sides are way more dangerous. You should look into buying a new helmet again, that one saved your life once, don't think that it can do it twice.

lowsound

8. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    I guess in the end, the FMX really didn't work too well for hooring now did it.

9. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    I crash my bike at least once a week, but im still alive. :D

10. I've owned a Norton Commando & a street-racer modded 76 XT-500, but never dumped either of them. NOT bragging; if anything, I just quit early(it's been 20 years), before the obligatory pavement-kissing. I hereby announce my full retirement from street biking. :cool:

11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You forgot to mention the bruised ego. :)

12. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    took her out again today :D and got tires melting.. shoulder is stiff and knee is kinda fooked.. but had to otherwise i wouldnt do it again! ran out of juice and hoped on the CBR was just half a day of biking :hyper::hyper: noticed the corner has a nice new hole in the ditch from a car hitting it.. glad my damage was light!!

darkstrike if ya hear thunder in bana in the next week thats a big group of us :D:D

13. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Oi! Better not be late! I might be sleepin' :p

Anything special goin' on, or just a gang of you out for a good time?

14. I have a six-inch steel plate in my left shin from a 1966 collision that almost cost me my left leg. Bikes are fun, but I've never been able to decide that riding one made sense after that event. When you ride a bike, IMO the issue isn't whether you will crash, but only when.

I'm glad you had no major injuries - good for you! And more power to those of you who enjoy bikes.

15. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    been riding bikes since i was 6.. if i gave up it would be as good as death, maybe when im older have a family things may change...

16. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

I turned sixty last Friday. Put myself through engineering college working as a Harley mechanical in the late seventies/early eighties so I've been riding a while. Have a titanium plate and four screws in my wrist; ten screws, two rods and a plate in my spine and I'll put 5 to 6ooo miles on the bike this summer; including a trip from West Virginia to Maine. Just because you get dealt a couple of bad cards is no reason to quit the game.

17. I'm glad you didn't get hurt too badly.

I was out riding on St. Patty's Day and my father-in-law and I almost got T-boned by a State Highway Patrol who was in too big of a hurry to get up to a corner parking lot to watch for drunk drivers. Here I was worried about drunk drivers when I should have been worried about the cops watching for the drunk drivers. :scowl:

18. start rehabilitating your injuries now. Stretching your shoulder etc. scar tissue can be a real problem and if you put it off it is more likely you'll feel the effects of this accident for the rest of your life - unfortunately starting rehab now doesn't make any guarantees.

19. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Glad you're ok man.
    We almost crashed this summer with my best friend,we were drunk and wearing no protective wear,we were lucky.

Ride safe man,going back home is more important than going back "home" earlier.;)