1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Crate 8x8. Anyone hear of these?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rip Topaz, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    What the title said. I found one local, markings on the cab say SLM (did a little research into that but got lost quickly), and the owner says its an 8x8" cabinet.

It's an 8 ohm cab, marked as 800 watts.

Anyone know anything about these? It's older, maybe 80's?

2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    SLM might indicate ampeg.
    just guessing.

tryanor and swr are the only 8x8's I remember.

3. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Yeah, that's all I've heard of, too. But the cab has a Crate input pad thingie on the back. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1364159298.565911.

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    SLM, St Louis MO is where Ampeg was, at that time.
    You might get with JimmyM and see if he knows more

pics of the front might help someone

5. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    No problem. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1364159574.750222. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1364159587.314758.

Unfortunately these are the only pix he sent.

6. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    I read that there's a connection between Crate and Ampeg, but I don't remember the old Crate 2x15 I used to use having an SLM logo anywhere. This one is definitely older.

7. Are they both owned by Loud?

8. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    At the point where this cab was made, I think so.

9. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    The cab needs some work, but I've got a bunch of tolex already so that's no problem.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience and can clue me in as to how an 8x8 sounds. The price is ridiculously low, so if its a possible gem I'll grab it and put a little work into it.

10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I recall Crate being produced by SLM as a more modestly priced offering...sort of an Eden / Nemesis vibe. Don't know the current standing. Jerrold Tiers would know for sure. My brother had a Crate bass combo which was okay. Buck Dharma of Blue Oyster Cult used (uses?) a Marshall-esque Crate guitar rig in the early 2000's.

Riis

11. Ampeg did also have a very rare 8x8 out a long time ago. It's a good possibility you have a crate version of that cab. Also obviously very rare, but I'd go for it if the price is right. It's probably designed very different from SWR's Henry the 8x8, but the 8x8's I've heard absolutely roar.

12. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Awesome. Guess I'll be picking it up and restoring it then. Thanks, everyone.

13. Some of crates larger bass cabinets were in fact build in the St Louis Mo factory alongside ampegs.

I had a ported 8x10, which is what I think this one is. Is good for 800 watts, and doesnt sound bad at all

14. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    There was 8" stuff in both Crate and Ampeg late in the game at SLM.

Crate was the ORIGINAL SLM brand of MI gear. later, PA gear was split off into the "Audio Centron" brand.

Subsequent to the beginning of Crate production, SLM acquired what was left of Ampeg from what was left of MTI.

Both product lines, along with Audio-Centron PA gear, were produced in the same factories from 1986 until after 2000, when most Crate went overseas. Subsequently, low-end Ampeg went overseas, but the SVT series stayed at the Arkansas factory until Loud closed it down with the rest of SLM during 2007.

After 2007, ALL Crate and Ampeg have been Asian. (Assuming there still IS any Crate, they were uninterested, and had no new products for over a year in Crate) A few items have been recently *assembled* in Seattle , but as far as I know, the parts are still from Asia.

15. lowend1

lowend1

Feb 15, 2005
    Not to hijack, but...
    Jerrold, what do you remember about the Crate BT350 head? The rumor has been that it has close ties to one of the hybrid SVTs - can you confirm or deny?

16. Lol I used to have a Bt-350 Head as well. I had a tough time getting a good sound out of it to be honest, but it may have been because I had no idea what I was doing ;) I was 16

17. lowend1

lowend1

Feb 15, 2005
    It's actually very Ampeg-y sounding. Not sure how much the tube pre has to do with it, but its voice is not unlike my '72 SVT - especially through the 8x10. A dead ringer soundwise? - no, but a damn sight better at nailing that tone than most amps - and they are dirt cheap.

18. grenadilla

grenadilla

Aug 22, 2011
    alabama
    That SLM Crate ought to be good if the speakers are not blown. It will probably be not plywood, as the SLM Ampegs were at that time. Traynor makes an 808 for about $700 that looks tasty.

19. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    Zombie thread alert!

Just resurrecting this to see if the OP ever did get the cab, and if it indeed was a 8 X 8,

If it was, I'd be very interested as I've never heard of such a beast.

I started out on SLM era Crates as a teenager in the '80s, and still find myself surrounded by SLM products to this day of both the Crate and Ampeg variety. :cool:

20. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    I didn't end up getting it. Was gone when it went back a few weeks later.