1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Crate 8x8 bass cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kdogg, Feb 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    i found a crate 8x8 bass cab on my local craigslist, and I'm intrigued to go take a look.

Anyone ever seen or heard one? I can't find any info about this cab online, which makes me even more curious.

2. H2okie

H2okie

Jan 30, 2014
    Jacksonville, FL
    Never heard of a crate. But check out what type of 8's are there. They should all match. If they don't. Stay away. Do a bit of research about what type of drivers. They can be very pricey. That being said. I was stunned at how punchy and tight my Swr 8x8 is. I bought it with an 800rb thinking I would sell the cab or part it out. But dang! I love it. My favorite cab to date. Also. If u like it. Make absolutely sure all 8 are working.

3. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    All original and in working order, according to the owner. He said he bought it in the mid nineties.
    Sounds like it could be a pretty cool cab.

Is you SWR heavy?

4. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Poor man's Ampeg.... Some of those Crate cabs have some nice drivers. If they're SLM you may have a really hard time finding any info at all about them, even harder to find replacements.

If it's fairly close and at a decent price I would absolutely check it out. Might be a sleeper that for no particular reason other than brand name just didn't sell enough units to gain traction. Might be a dud living in fart city, too. I personally never had a Crate product I hated. Still use my Power Block and love it for what it is. Don't expect miracles, but I'd be surprised a bit if it is junk.

Keep us updated. I'm curious.

5. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    Will do. Gonna check it out tomorrow. I just spoke with the owner by phone, and he assured me all 8 speakers are firing and the cab still sounds great.

I'm gonna take my Fender Rumble 500 head to test the cab. Should be fun. My only concern is gonna be weight. He said the cab is pretty heavy, like pushing 100 lbs. heavy.

6. I like 8's. Crate... I started out on guitar running Crate amps. A combo then a stack. I never had any issues with them but they were fairly budget. The SWR Henry cab is a good cab. And it was pricey new - but yeah, similar to a fridge in that once you start replacing speakers, it can get expensive. Putting that scenario in a Crate product... I dunno. If the cab was cheap enough and sounded good I guess. Otherwise I'd look for a Henry cab if I wanted 8's.

(I used to gig an SWR 8x8.)

7. There's other options for 8's too. SWR Henry Jr. 4x8. Ashdown used to make 4x8 cabs. Markbass' NY804 is nice, I have two.