Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crate Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by foolfighter24, Apr 16, 2001.

1. foolfighter24

foolfighter24 Guest

Apr 22, 2000
    Arizona
    I have a simple question for you bass people here. (that doesn't really narrow it down... :D )
    I went into my local bass store today and tried out a new Crate Amp, the BFX100T. Now, while not being a lover of effects for bass, this amp has some nice features to it.
    1.) Portable....built w/ wheels and handle
    2.) Bang for the Buck....$490. Good stuff.
    3.) Tweeter that blends in nicely with the 15 inch speaker w/100watts.
    4.) Hey, the effects are pretty cool!
    5.) Good overall sound.

Also has a 5 year warrantee on it. Just wondering if anyone else has played this and what they thought about it and/or Crate Amps in general.(the similar amp from Crate is the BFX100) So thanks for any help or tips or what have you. :)

2. Hey fighter!

While I don`t have the BFX100,I do have his lil brother...the BFX50.All I can say is this is one sweet amp for the price(IMHO).I played around with many others in it`s price range before I decided to buy it,and always kept coming back to the Crate.For me(self taught and play for the fun and as a hobby)this was the best value for the buck.

The FX are kewl but I seldom,if ever,use them.The best ones are the flange, and chorus...to me anyways. I picked up mine at GC for 326.00 out the door.

Where will you be playing? In my living room I am hardpressed to crank her past 3 or so...that thing booms!The BFX100 has a few more bells and whistles to it.....adjustable eq ,etc.

Bottom line:I`m very happy with my Crate and would recommend them! :)

Usul

p.s. check into Carvin amps though before you make the final desicion.Their prices are great and I think they make quality pieces.If and when I ever buy another amp I will go with them,the buck to bang ration is just to big to ignore! :D

3. for crates in general...
    i had the bx15 and dropped it down a full flight of stairs (on accident) 2 or 3 times and was still perfect. these things are built like a rock

4. I think you're getting shafted with the price. GC has them for $420, and Musicians Friends has 'em for $400 even. Try to find one else where.

Yes the BFX100 is a damn good amp. Lots of tone to that one.

Rock on
    Eric

5. foolfighter24

foolfighter24 Guest

Apr 22, 2000
    Arizona
    Thanks for the replys!
    And just a question Eric, where are you seeing the BFX100T for $400?!? I don't see it at MusiciansFriend at all, and the BFX100 is at $440. I guess I'm just confused.... :confused:

6. I am an owner of a huge Mesa/Boogie rig and it is the best sounding setup ever. I use a Carvin amplifier to practice with and it sounds killer. It is in the price range you're asking for and if you can live without the effects you'll get a much better clean sound from the Carvin.

7. rubber chicken

rubber chicken Guest

Apr 7, 2001
    colorado
    I also have the BFX50, and I love it. The effects are pretty good, but I don't use most of them. I got it for $315, and would recommend them.

:cool: