1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Crate Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JazzyJames, Oct 2, 2008.


  1. I noticed my friend's brother, who is a great guitarist has a Crate stack. I searched for some bass amps by Crate to see if I could get a quality 100watt+ combo for cheap and all the Crate amps on every online store are discontinued. Anyone know why?
     
  2. SanDiegoHarry

    SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

    Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Crate-BX-100-100-Watt-15-Bass-Amp_W0QQitemZ270282244220QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item270282244220&_trkparms=72%3A1205|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
     
  3. Here is my experiance with Crate. My first bass amp was a small Crate combo. I think it was 15W, I paid 70.00 new at GC I think. Anyway, after a little over a month it would shut off while playing, but if I moved it, it work again for awhile. So I called GC and they said no we can't take it back, you have to call Crate, so I did. They said that I needed to ship it to them, as there were no service centers in my area, and they would look at it. But I had to pay 50.00 shipping and handling fee. So I said, but it only cost 70.00 brand new. So anyway, while on the phone I pulled the amp out of it, and it was that they never soldered the wires going to the on/off switch, so they were vibrating loose and I fixed it while on the phone.

    So maybe its cause of lack of service?
     
  4. crates are ok (for the more expensive tube amps) and crappy (for everything else)

    I'd take crate over behringer, but I wouldn't take either if I could
     
  5. I play through a Crate BFX100 100-Watt 15" w/ Built-In effects and it's really not too bad. But like others I recommend something else like Acoustic or Ampeg.
     
  6. Spector_Ray

    Spector_Ray

    Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
  7. he he I still use a Crate B200XL head with the 15 + two 10s Cabinet. It is pretty sad. It's just an onstage monitor really but I can barely hear it most of the time even when it's right behind me.

    The head is just not real loud.

    Have been researching amps here and am planning to upgrade to the GK 1001rb but am still looking at speakers.

    Wonder how the GK would go through the Crate cab?? :)
     
  8. I have two dead Crate combos. My $.02.
     
  9. Jerrold Tiers

    Jerrold Tiers

    Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    There were an awful lot of Crate amps made and sold........

    So, there are bound to be stories of dead/bad/whatever amps from Crate. There used to be almost 50,000 of those 10 watt and 15watt amps made per year, made in USA, at that.

    There are Crate amps that have been working perfectly for 25 years, and there probably are ones that only worked right long enough to get through the booth test.

    The truth of the matter is that Crate was intended to be a low and middle range brand, and that is what it is. If you were an Ampeg type customer, you were not a Crate customer. That right there is the origin of a lot of the "I hate Crate" theology.

    Crate was intended to fit 80% of the market, and I suspect many or most folks here are in the other 20%.

    I have been using the past tense, because Loud has pretty much down-played the brand, not even asking for new products for 2 years.

    Now, for the last few years, Crate has been made in china, with all that implies. This pre-dates Loud, but they were good with it, for sure, with their stated philosophy of "anything that can be done in the US the chinese can do better, for cheaper".
     
  10. Spector_Ray

    Spector_Ray

    Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    [hijack]
    Jerrold, were you involved at all in the Crate line at all?
    [/hijack]
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.