Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crate B80 XL good amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SpeeDFX, Apr 18, 2002.

1. SpeeDFX

SpeeDFX

Apr 14, 2002
    I am thinking of buying this amp, the Crate B80 XL used for about $100, is this a good deal? I think it's really old,but does that matter? does anyone know anyting about this amp? I couldn't find any information on the net about it, and this is my first amp, I will be using it for practice...if I get it

2. The crate stuff is pretty good for its price, i have a Crate 2x15 cab and its a beuty, I may be wrong but i heard somewhere that they are owned, or part of, the Ampeg Company. Try a search using Crate, you may pick up more info. Good hunting.

3. Crate isn't exactly owned by Ampeg. Crate, Ampeg, Alvarez, Austin, and a few other companies are owned by St. Louis Music Company. Everything, except Austin, that's made by St. Louis Music is a great piece of equipment.

The amp you speak of is a fine starter amp, however. I would suggest a KX-50(Keyboard Amp) if you want to go a little higher price range. It's louder, has reverb, and handles any note you throw into it. But if you don't want to go any higher than 100, that amp is great for the price.

4. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I realise that this is a fairly late response. At the studio where we practise I get to use a Crate BX-80. It's about 8 years old, is used by everyone and their aunty and generally gets used and abused by folks that don't know how to use amps properly.

It has had the minimum of maintenance and sometims does go farty and/or intermittently cuts out. Soundwise it's OK, not great but I've heard a lot worse! For $100 it seems OK, they are loud enough for practice/small gigs.

5. BillHogBlake

BillHogBlake

Jan 1, 2014
    hi everyone,

i own this amp for a year now, and i like it very much so far. However, the Limiter bother me a bit because it cut the sound and doesn't put it back before 3 - 4 secondes.

i was thinking, maybe i can replace or remove the thing, but i tried to open the preamp and i couldn't find what is the limiter exactly.. :confused:

So my question is the following : is it possible to remove or replace OR bypass the limiter in a way or an other ?

Thanks guys and happy new year to you all !

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    No, it is not. Besides, you'd fry the amp without it.

7. BillHogBlake

BillHogBlake

Jan 1, 2014
    All right then..thanks for answering so quickly !