1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Crate BT220 question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mello_bedwetter, Feb 21, 2008.

1. I read the specs on the Crate BT220 amp and it says it has an external speaker jack. Anyone familiar with this amp? I'm wondering if you hook up an external cabinet, will the 15" in the combo still be in use or will it shut down and just use the external cab? I know the BT50 would bypass it's internal 12" if you jacked an external cab to it. I want to have a combo with the option of using an external cab. With the Crate BT220 I'd like to be able to run a 2x10 with the 15" internal speaker if that's what the external speaker jack is for. So far the only combo amp I've read about that you can use an external cab with is the GK Backline 210 Combo. Thanks.

2. I looked on Crate "site" and the owner's manual said the internal speaker would work with an external cabinet. It said it would be best to use a 4 ohm ex cab. My next question, can you use an 8 ohm, and if so what are the effects? Thanks.

It says the internal 15" speaker is 250 RMS and 4 ohm impedance.
    http://www.crateamps.com/pdf/manuals/BT220_OM.pdf

Example: Crate BT220 @ 4 ohms jacked to a GK backline 210 @ 8 ohms.

3. LesS

LesS

Mar 3, 2006
    no longer a member
    Using the external speaker jack puts the internal and external speakers in series.
    So with a 4 ohm external speaker, your net load will be 8 ohms, and your amp will put out less power than at 4 ohms.
    With an 8 ohm external speaker, your net load will be 12 ohms, and your amp will put out less power than at 4 or 8 ohms, plus the 4 ohm internal speaker will probably be louder than the 8 ohm external speaker.

I would get a 4 ohm cabinet, but try it before you buy, because you might not like the power decrease.

4. I wonder if it would be a good move to trade my Ampeg BA-115 in for a Crate BT220? I'd have more power plus the option of adding an ex cab if needed.