1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Crate BX-100

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by frmjersey, Mar 26, 2009.

1. frmjersey

frmjersey

Mar 26, 2009
    I just picked up a used Crate BX-100. When I tested it out at the owner’s house it sounded Fine. All the reviews I checked out online people said it as a decent amp. So I get it home and this thing is really noisy. A lot of "HUM" from the speaker. What's up with this? Do I have to move it around so that there’s no other electronic equipment around? I’m a newbie to this Bass thing and don’t have a problem asking questions. I’m relaying on the expertise of you, the Pros to help me out.
    Thanks,

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi frmjersey.

You'll likely receive more timely assistance re trouble-shooting your amp's problem if you include the attention-getting word 'Help!' in your thread title.

Also, when asking for help, please supply as much detail as you can in your initial post: all the equipment your were using when the problem occurred would be helpful.

--------

As for your amp's hum:

- Is your bass plugged in when it does this? If so, is it an active or passive bass?

- Have you tried different guitar cables?

- Do you have anything which could cause ground loops (AC powered equipment, battery powered effects pedals which are being powered by DC adaptors etc) connected to your amp?

- Have you tried plugging your amp into different AC outlets in different rooms to hear if the hum increases or diminishes?​

You can download a BX-100 owner's manual from HERE.

3. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    *levitate*

4. cbt

cbt

Mar 27, 2009
    i've got the bx100 crate, (bought used), might depend on a few things as the above poster noted

my bass is passive

but about the only time i hear any hum out of it is when is sitting next to my computer as soon as the computer goes into sleep mode the hum goes away or if i pick it up and get it away from the computer

am not try to say its totaly silent if sitting right in front of it, i think its kinda pretty quite, i sit off to the side of it about 6ft and all most cant hear it, the gain at about 61/2 and master at 6

but you could be picking electical noise up from some where

maybe the way you've set the eq ?

when you tested it was with your bass and cord ?

i've had pretty good luck with mine for what it is, it doesnt do to bad

cheers

5. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    *bump*

6. This was my first amp pretty much, I got it as a christmas present from my dad about 5 years ago. Mine has the same problem yours has. It was really bad until it stopped working all together and then I got it repaired and it stopped for about 2 weeks then started buzzing again. A lot of times what I do is put the gain at about 4 1/2 and turn up the master volume to 6 or 7, this usually reduces it for me, plus I've found that if you turn the gain up too loud this amp will start to sound distorted. good luck

(i'm so excited to get my new acoustic 410)