Crate BX 160

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NHGhost, Oct 16, 2004.

1. NHGhost

Sep 26, 2004
    Been putting together my first bass rig. I was searching a local pawn shop and found a Crate bx 160 combo amp. They were asking 175$ for it. Its got a 7 band eq, low and high inputs, 1x15 with a jack for an extansion cab, built in chorus with controls, fx loop etc. Most importantly it has a balanced DI. I played it a bit..offered them 150 and they bit. SO I am now the proud owner of this mammoth combo (HEAVY).

Anyone know anything about these. I searched the site here and googled for reviews and found only one lousy review. I like the tone, and the soudnshaping abilities it has. No idea how many watts it is, or what it will push with an extension cab. Anything to look out for, reliability wise etc?

Thanks for the help in advance

2. It looks like it pushes out 160w on its own and 220w with an extension cab. Musician's Friend has a PDF manual on this amp that you can download.
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    hey, for a buck fifty, who cares?? good deal.
  4. sentient_1

Apr 25, 2004
    MusikMan's specs look right. I own a BX-160 and a complimentary BX-410e extension cab. I bought the BX-160 7 years ago new and it's still ticking. The only thing wrong with it is that the rate knob for the chorus stops working after the "6" position, but that's no biggie cuz I don't use the effects on the amp.

I'd tell you to do a google search for a pdf file of the owners manual (that's where I got mine after I lost the original), but I can't seem to find it on google anymore :confused:

In retrospect, I realize buying this Crate crap was a HORRIBLE decision--especially new--but I'm out of luck now. If only I had known about TB back then ...