Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crate BX-2115 Pro Bass Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bent23, Jan 3, 2001.

1. bent23

bent23 Guest

Jan 3, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    I am considering purchasing a Crate BX-2115 Pro Bass Combo.
    It is 160w@ 8ohms and 220@ 4ohms. 15" speaker, 8 band graphic EQ, built in chorus, effects loop..bla bla. I will be using it for the time being with a De Armond Ashbory I received for Christmas (my first bass).It is unlikely that I will ever play hard, heavy rock with this amp as my interests lie mainly in jazz.

I am wondering if anyone has had ANY experience with this combo. All opinions and any information will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Brent

2. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    I own or have used three Crate rigs, two of which have the power to do actual gig work. The BX-100 and the half-stack (the model number eludes me now) both work great for jazz. Despite the bad name the Crate seems to have for some reason, the gear works great and has a solid warranty. Try it out and see if it's the sound you're looking for. Also, you might check the reviews section of this forum and see what you can find.

As far as the 2115 goes - I played one a little while back and it sounded great! I really was impressed! However, I didn't have that kind of cash at the time and went for the BX-100. But it seemed to be built really well and had ample power. Great sound.

3. bent23

bent23 Guest

Jan 3, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the people who tend to bash or denigrate Crate are Rock N Rollers. I only say this due to the fact that most of my Rock friends seem to be obsessed with sheer volume- the louder the better, whereas most Jazz guys I've met are mostly concerned with tonal quality (not that there aren't Rockers who have sensitive ears, but Jazz usually doesn't need to be played at ear-splitting SPLs). I find the Crate BX-2115 to be modestly powerful, however it is my first combo amp and I am playing through an active Piezo pickup (Ashbory).
    I welcome any feedback regarding this ( possibly erroneous in some peoples' opinion) post.

4. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    I agree: Crate isn't the loudest/most efficient amp out there. I don't know if it's the actual design of the amp or just lower efficiency speakers; but Crates don't seem to be quite as loud as comparable amplifiers from other companies. I do love the tone however - especially the extremely low background noise/hiss.

5. bent23

bent23 Guest

Jan 3, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    I have a simple question for you, being a man of experience in playing Jazz. Myself, being a beginner on bass, am in need of learning resources. Can you recommend what you believe to be the best sources of instruction for learning? I have yet to purchase any reading material or videos . I need to start at the very beginning, as I have NO experience. Any suggestions you have will be a godsend.

Thanks

6. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    That's a good question! I really don't know what to reccommend: what I've learned has been taught to me by my current bass teacher and my old high school jazz band instructor. One good book (though it's not necessarily focused on jazz) is Mel Bay's Complete Book of Bass Essentials (by Bunny Brunel) - it contains most of what you'll need to know to get a good start (harmonics, 5th's, scales, modes, etc.). As far as what to possibly listen to, I reccommend most of Jaco Pastorious's work (though as much as I admire him, I think that he get's a little "busy" sounding sometimes), while not at a beginner level at all, it will give you some good ideas and some inspiration. Other good players to listen to (though, again, not necessarily jazz) are Marcus Miller and Geddey Lee.

I guess that my best reccommendation would be to find a good teacher who really wants to help you learn - not one that is just doing it for the money. Otherwise, the best learning tool is experience: get out there and play. It doesn't matter what it sounds like (well, just do your best to sound as good as you can :) ), it's the experience that counts the most.

You might try posting you're question over in the General Instruction forum and see what other people have to offer. But again, almost all that I know I've learned by playing live and from my teachers.

BTW, from your previous post it sounds like you went ahead and bought the Crate - good choice, in my opinion.

Finally, if you're looking for material to practice you might try your local music store or talk to a local university or high school jazz teacher and see if they'll let you borrow anything. While you're at it, you might ask them for reccommendations of bass teachers in the area. Hope this helped out somewhat.

Musician's Friend carries the book that I mentioned above.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com

Also, if you'd like to check out some older jazz standards with nice basslines, check out the good old stuff like In The Mood (I love that song for some reason) as well as newer songs.

[Edited by White_Knight on 01-06-2001 at 10:44 PM]