Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crate BX-80

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ergodynebass, Aug 31, 2000.

1. Does anyone own one of these amps and would like to tell me a little bit about the sound and eq settings? Also, could you tell me if its worth 200 bucks used?

Thanks

2. Does anyone have a pic of it because I just bought one from Used Gear by Mail (ugbm.com) and I wanna see the top of it. All I know is that it has a 15 in it.

3. rmp5s

rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    I've never seen another one of these amps. I've never heard of anyone else having one. I've also never heard of or seen a guitar like mine (Jet Black Ibanez EX Series 5-string). That's why my eyes almost fell out when I saw
    "bx-80" in here. I tweak mine all the time. I usually have a smily-face type EQ set up. Gain is usually in the lower half to keep from killing the neighbors and the pre-shape is ALWAYS set to "low" (except for when I play my guitar through it....totally different story). Even MORE ironic is the fact that I paid $280 for mine, used. There's only a couple of things I can complain about with the amp... 1. It gets basically NO highs.
    2. It bottoms out with the 5-string.
    If anyone else out there knows anything about this amp (when they made them, when they stopped, etc.) please, TELL ME!

4. Heh, well I'm getting mine soon, I hope. What do you mean it has no Highs? Does it have alot of outputs like line out? Ya, I'm getting mine through used gear by mail (www.ugbm.com), I never seen any websites about people having them though.

5. rmp5s

rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    I should be getting a 4x10 soon. The good with that is you get more highs. What I mean by that is your high notes (treble) are more audible because the 10 inch speaker(s) are smaller than the 15 inch. The smaller speaker can move faster to better pronounce the higher note, which has a higher frequency. The good about a 15 inch speaker is you get better lows. Since the low note has a low frequency, the speaker doesn't have to move fast, so the bigger, the better. Move as much air as you can. In this case, you probably want to FEEL the note. The bigger speaker moves more air, which, at high enough volumes and with a good enough speaker, can literally stop your heart. That's why for best results, buy a powerful head unit, get a 2x10 or 4x10 speaker cab (for the high notes) and stack it with a 15 inch or 18 inch speaker (for the low notes). Sorry for the lengthy explanation, but that is the clearest way to explain it. Now for the simple stuff. There are ample outputs on this amp's head unit. It has an XLR as well as a head phone jack. I am pleased with this amp but it isn't too good for slapping since slapping sounds better when you have some highs and not just a ton of lows.

6. Maybe then, it wasn't the BEST choice. I just had to get rid of that crappy Peavey Minx 110, the speaker was almost blown. I'm just glad the guy I sold it to didn't try it out, so he gave me max money for it.

7. rmp5s

rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    The Crate is without a doubt better than the minx. Although, having the minx AND the Crate is even better. I understand that you sold the minx and that the speaker was almost blown, but you could create a "mini-stack" with the minx and the Crate like I did with my Crate and my Dad's 8" guitar amp. The 8 got the highs and the 15 got the lows. This is kind of a "poor-man's-bi-amp" system. Didn't sound too bad. Don't get me wrong....what kind of music do you play? This amp would more than suffice for a practice amp at low volumes for pretty much any non-slap style of playing. It wouldn't be TOO bad for slapping either if you have a bass with active electronics. Just a little food for thought.

8. Maybe then I should get a 2x10 cabinet to add to it. I saw a Hartke 210XL and I was wondering how you would hook it up through the Crate amp? With what cords too, a speaker cord?

9. Ohh, I forgot to mention I play rock, punk and hardcore music (you know hard rock stuff).

10. rmp5s

rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    Ok, this is what I'd do. I thought about getting one of those 210 Hartke cabs. Great cabs. I am PRETTY sure you can run a cab through the "line out" on the Crate. I've run regular amps bi-amp-like using that out, but I'm not totally sure if it will power another cab. You might want to check into that. You might need a power amp for the 210, no big deal, but for the stuff you're playing, the 15 should do well enough. (I don't know if you play 4 string or 5. That does make a difference because this speaker doesn't really handle the B too well at high volumes. This sounds pretty damned good with a norm tuned 4, though.) Just don't turn it up too loud. I'm pumped!!!! I have band practice today, and the owner of a local music store is renting me a 350 watt 4x10. I get to have fun tonight!!!!

11. How big of a power amp would I have to get to power the 2x10?

12. rmp5s

rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    It depends on the power rating of the speakers. Some have higher power ratings than other cabs. A 210 shouldn't take too much to beat the hell out of you. Probably about 300 at the most. You just have to check. My 410 can handle 700 but runs 350 continuous. Make sure you get the right wattage or you will cook the speakers.

13. I just received this amp today and I like the sound of it, it blows that Peavey Mnx 110 away, literally. It's very heavy (75 lbs.), I know know what you mean by not enough highs, it's all loud bass. So, how much does this thing output and what can output with that three prong thing. It almost looks like a microphone input for PA systems.

14. rmp5s

rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    It is the same kind of input that most mics use. It's called an XLR jack. In this case, it is an output. I've used it to plug the amp into a mixer so I can play through a P.A. I knew without a doubt that it would KILL the Minx. The Crate's speaker is bigger then the WHOLE Minx. I think that I might sell mine. Eh, why not...I don't need it. Maybe I will, maybe I won't. Any thing else, just post.

15. I was also amazed at how much that thing weighs, around 75lbs. more than the BX-100's. I might sell mine sometime I want an Ampeg B2 or B3 combo. I found a trick with the Crate amp though, if you turn the master volume up about 12 o'clock and the gain very low, it sounds better than the gain up and the master volume low. I think it makes it better for slapping a popping, even though it doesn't have any smaller speakers. I wonder, do you think it would help if I added a horn to the cab? I could buy one from David Eden electronics.

16. rmp5s

rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    It is heavy. That's why I had my roady carry it. A horn would help. I don't know how the hell you'd do that, though. That would be pretty tricky. I've played with the gain and EQ so much on that thing that I'm surprised that the knobs haven't fallen off. I can get some decent sounds out of it, but the 4x10 sounds a hundred times better. Tell me how it sounds with a horn.

17. Heh, I need to grab some money for a horn and to figure out somehow to put it in there. I'm not rushing as much because I'm not in a band, I just like my amp to produce the best bass sounds it can and I'm not getting any highs, except for my mom screaming "Turn it down" when I got the volume past 8.

18. rmp5s

rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    Yea, I know all about the "turn it down!!" thing. I'm selling my Digitech BP8 Bass effects processer if you want it. I'm gunna probably put it up for sale on here somewhere, but I figured I'd give you first dibs. It sounds good on the Crate.

19. how much and what effects does it have?

20. rmp5s

rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    Price: Negotiable

Details: 12AX7 tube and solid state preamps.
    Full function compressor.
    4 band semi-parametric EQ.
    Notch Filter.
    Stereo Outs or Mono Bi-Amp w/ built in crossover.
    Jam-a-Long Jack (CD or Tape Stereo Input).
    Headphone Jack.
    Built-in Expression Pedal.
    Chromatic Tuner

Effects: Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Detune, AutoWah, Wah, Tremolo, Octaver, Fretless Simulator, Pitch Shifter, Whammy, Delay, Reverb.....

Great pedal. All steel construction. Studio quality effects.
    Go here for big pic:
    http://www.digitech.com/products/productpgs/bp8big.htm

[Edited by rmp5s on 09-23-2000 at 10:01 AM]