Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crate BX100 and Ampeg SVT 410h;f

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by theotherpete, Apr 19, 2002.

1. theotherpete

theotherpete

Apr 19, 2002
    GR, MI
    okay...i just got an Ampeg SVT 410hlf, which is 4ohms. My crate bx100 is also 4 ohms. the manual for the crate said that external cabs will be hooked up serial with the internal speaker. basically this i what i wanna know:

1) will this cause problems?
    2) how much power will go to the cab?
    3) will anything get screwed up if i disconnect the internal speaker?

basically, i wanna know how i can get all 100 watts going to the cab and none to the internal.

thanks.

2. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I would guess that you'd be fine if you disconnected the internal, and just ran out to the cab. I've used an external cab on my BX-100 occasionally, and while it works fine, I notice that most of the signal seems to be going to the external speaker line - which is what you want anyway.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    No, because the total load will be 8 ohms.

Total power will drop at 8 ohms from the 100 watts you get now to about 60-70 watts, both the internal 15" and the external cab will see half: 30-35 watts. This probably will not give you the results you are looking for.

Because it's series wired you will get no sound at all. Disconnecting the speaker opens up the circuit.

Disconnect the internal speaker and rewire the output jack to be a parallel connection instead of series.

4. theotherpete

theotherpete

Apr 19, 2002
    GR, MI
    wouldn't the load be 2 ohms? or is 8 because its in series?

{pete}

5. Two 4ohm cabs in series is 8ohms and brianrost is quite correct in his post that running 8ohms on a 100 watt head rated for 4ohms will only yield 60-70 watts. Which presents another possible problem. Having only 60-70 watts to work with sets up a situation where it's easy to clip the amp and lunch the speakers.