Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crate BX100 is BROKEN!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chunk3rs, Apr 26, 2005.

1. chunk3rs

chunk3rs

Apr 26, 2005
    Yeah, so my Crate BX100 is acting a little funny lately.

When I plug in, there is a loud humming sound, which was usually the case only when the amp was turned up almost to the maxxxxx. Now the humming is always exceedingly louder than the sound of the bass coming out of the speaker. The speaker only outputs bass sound when everything is turned up to the maxxxxx, and the sound of actual bass guitar coming out is minimal, at best.

I'm assuming the issue would be dealing with the amplifier portion of the head portion of the combo. :ninja: If anyone has any advice on fixing it (I cannot take it to a tech, because that costs money, which I have none of), your input would be greatly appreciated.

In conclusion;
    -Thanks

2. Most likely a loose solder joint or a messed up input jack.

If you can, I'd take a look inside (careful not to touch anything if you aren't confident in your own repairing skills) and look for a loose solder joint.

Report the findings back here and someone'll help ya.

3. chunk3rs

chunk3rs

Apr 26, 2005
    I took a good look at the guts, (I'm relatively profeciant with electronics, from modding game consols and pc's) and saw nothing out of the ordinary.

I had a problem with the input jack a few months ago, and soldered the points that touch the board, and it worked flawlessly for months, until now. I see nothing immediately wrong with any physical parts. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places.

Thanks for the input

In conclusion;

***EDIT****

Noticed you're from St. Louis, Missouri; I am as well. I'm in Saint Charles City, right off of highway 70.

Just figured I'd mention that.

4. chunk3rs

chunk3rs

Apr 26, 2005
    After taking a really good look at the internals of this amp, I don't see how it could possibly be the input jack, or a connection inside.

I'm thinking if this sounds like a problem with a transistor in the amplifying portion of the board?

In conclusion;
    Thanks again

5. chunk3rs

chunk3rs

Apr 26, 2005
    *Cough*bump*Cough*

6. sk8rboymc

sk8rboymc

Mar 28, 2003
    I need to fix my amp, any suggestions?

*edit* this is my old account, whoops */edit*

7. My long-distance guess would be a problem in the filter capacitors (or maybe the bridge rectifier) in the power supply. If this is not a switching power supply, it should be relatively easy for a good repair tech to find, if this is indeed the problem. (Note the emphasis on "good repair tech", there's a lot of so-called techs whose only qualifications are that they can open the amp's case...)

P.S. Some of the power supply filter caps (in some amps)are merely soldered to a PC board, so these caps are being held solely by the strength of the solder joint. Since caps are fairly heavy and a bass amp is subject to serious vibration, these solder joints are likely to crack. This is an easy fix.

8. mikeym

mikeym

Sep 24, 2003
    did you ever fix your problem?

i have a problem with mine... i just bought it from a shop for 150 bucks...

everything worked well until turned up moderately loud or some notes the bass's sound would turn off...

i realized its from the master volume switch... i tightened it up but it still has the problem (tho less severe)

anyone ever replace one of these? i think thats what it is... could it be anything else?

~mike

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    I'd take it then that you don't have disability insurance. If you had the knowledge necessary to go into the amp and fix this yourself you wouldn't be asking the question. It's most likely a problem in the power supply filtering caps, and messing with those without knowing what you're doing could end your bass playing career in short order. Either take a course in Electrical Engineering or take the amp to a shop.

10. IAmBrigUsername

IAmBrigUsername

Dec 30, 2008
    I had the same problem, it usually buzzes quietly when there is a patch cord in the input.. But in certain positions, when you touch the cord wrong, it will buzz and peak out the gain and Master volume at any level. I just don't know the best way to take the amp apart to see what the problem is.

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Zombie thread. And, you should not attempt to fix anything you know little or nothing about. Serious high voltage, even when unplugged, reside inside an amplifier. Death is possible.

12. jbrew73

jbrew73

Dec 24, 2006
    anyone have a schematic for this amp?

13. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

You should know what electrolytic caps look like? Look for swelling or powder from those big caps and if you see any replace them all.
    Don't write if you hurt yourself, techs are cheaper than a hospital bill or .........
    The voltages in that amp are higher than 12 or 5 volts and can be deadly.

14. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    Get a schematic and check evrything. And also don't have two accounts. That's bad.

15. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    I do have some schematics for BX-100N and BX-100CA. PM an email.....

16. IAmBrigUsername

IAmBrigUsername

Dec 30, 2008
    It's not volts that kill you, it's amps... I've been shocked with 1,000,000 volts and all it does is leave a couple red marks.

Also, how long do you think a charge will stay in an amp while unplugged? Because I haven't been using my amp since it started buzzing a whole bunch...

17. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    I'll probably get ripped to shreds for saying this, but, from a cost/benefit point-of-view, it's probably not even worth fixing. I'm guessing here that you could likely pick up a similar used Crate amp for less than the cost of a repair.

:bag:

18. Do you have an active bass? It could just be the battery in the bass if it's active.

19. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

But caps store current also, the amount of jules depends on the size and condition.
    How long they store also depends on circuit design, condition of the rest of the components and the caps themselves. A good cap with an open bleeder resistor can hold a charge a year or more.