Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

crate-bx100 or ampeg-110 for punk????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by punkbassist14, Feb 19, 2002.

1. crate

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. ampeg

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. something else (explain)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. crate-bx100 or ampeg-110 for punk I'm thinking the ampeg but I wouldent mind spending less for the crate if its not a big compromise

2. Ampeg's the unofficial required gear for any punk. Still, go with what sounds right, I haven't tried the carvin, but I've heard they're high quality, so I'm sure you could get plenty of punch out of them.

3. I play mostly metal, some of which includes some punk riffs I would say. I dont know the exact sound you're looking for (go try out the amps), but I used to play a Crate rig many years ago, and now I have an Ampeg rig. The Crate was a bit punchier (judging from my memory and old recordings), but I like the Ampeg much better - it really growls with my Fender Jazz V. I played a Charvel back in the Crate days.

IMHO, the bass you play is more important than the amp. I love my Fender much more than the old axe. Of course any mix/match of bass/rig will vary the sound.

Hope that ambiguity helps :D

4. oh yea, and one other thing, whenever I've settled for less than I really wanted just to save a few bucks, I've always regretted it. Which is why I'm waiting 2.5 months for my new Fender instead of buying a different model that is already in stock, hanging on the wall.

Greg

5. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Let your ears be the judge. Take your bass down to the local store, and see which one suits you best. In the tier of importance, your sound, IMO, is based on:
    1. Your fingers
    2. Your bass and strings
    3. Your amp
      [/list=1]