Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

crate bx100 sending electric surrent through my bass?????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basserman44, Mar 24, 2001.

1. i recently bought a crate bx100 amp about 3 days ago. and l noticed 2 days ago while resting between songs at band practice that when uncalliced(spelling??) skin(forearms, elbows, etc) are pressed up against my strings, i get a little burning sensation like an electric current is zapping your skin. its not like 1000 volts goin through u or anything but its enough to make u realize somethin is zappin u. i've tried different cords and everything, i havent gotten a chance to try it with my other bass so i dont know if its the bass or not. what could be wrong? what should i do about it?it has a 2 year warranty and there is a certified crate technician in the area. should i return it to the store for a new one? anything will help, thanks.

2. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    It's a good question. Be careful. Make sure that the power cord has all three prongs (I assume you are in the US - please correct me otherwise), and that it is plugged into a grounded outlet. Your description may indicate a leak from the hot side to the chassis, which is not good. If this is the case (and a tech could check this for you), you should bring it back for repair or replacement.
    - Mike

3. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Just thought I'd add this: Crate amps come with a 5 year warranty as standard. So if you're dealer told you different then you might want to see what's going on there.

Definitely get your amp looked over - I have a friend that had a similar experience; the current was enough to make his hair stand on end. Kinda cool, but doesn't really do your health or playing any good.