crate bx100 sending electric surrent through my bass?????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basserman44, Mar 24, 2001.

1. i recently bought a crate bx100 amp about 3 days ago. and l noticed 2 days ago while resting between songs at band practice that when uncalliced(spelling??) skin(forearms, elbows, etc) are pressed up against my strings, i get a little burning sensation like an electric current is zapping your skin. its not like 1000 volts goin through u or anything but its enough to make u realize somethin is zappin u. i've tried different cords and everything, i havent gotten a chance to try it with my other bass so i dont know if its the bass or not. what could be wrong? what should i do about it?it has a 2 year warranty and there is a certified crate technician in the area. should i return it to the store for a new one? anything will help, thanks.
  2. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    It's a good question. Be careful. Make sure that the power cord has all three prongs (I assume you are in the US - please correct me otherwise), and that it is plugged into a grounded outlet. Your description may indicate a leak from the hot side to the chassis, which is not good. If this is the case (and a tech could check this for you), you should bring it back for repair or replacement.
    - Mike
  3. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    Just thought I'd add this: Crate amps come with a 5 year warranty as standard. So if you're dealer told you different then you might want to see what's going on there.

Definitely get your amp looked over - I have a friend that had a similar experience; the current was enough to make his hair stand on end. Kinda cool, but doesn't really do your health or playing any good.