Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crate BX50, dude!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SoggyTrousers, Feb 6, 2002.

1. SoggyTrousers

SoggyTrousers Guest

Jan 9, 2002
    Wayne, New Jersey
    I think ive settled upon a nice practice amp. Crate BX50 is the name of the amp if you havent guessed by the name of the thread...yeah, its 50 wts and ive heard good stuff from several of my buddies who have played through it. Any of you have? If so do tell...down to every last detail. details, details..

2. I have one, use it daily...
    At moderate volume levels its great. The newer version has onboard effects. Mine doesn't. I used it for several months in a rock band as my main amp because the guitarist only had a 30 watt amp and I would mike the Crate thereby getting much more headroom than possible with the Crate alone.

3. I have owned a BFX50 for the past year.Nice little practice amp and she can get pretty loud.I practice in my living room so rarely turn up past 3 or 4(unless my guitarist brings his tube amp).The effects are ok,but should`nt be a major selling point to you(rarely use them).All in all a solid little amp.I think they could have put the handle on the top though.

Just my humble opinion. :)

4. cronus

cronus Guest

Jan 17, 2002
    Romulus, Michigan
    i dont really like crates bass amps

5. Its just a practice amp, its not like you are going to be playing arenas with it, for the price its a great little amp, or you pay twice as much and get an ampeg practice amp, its all in how much you want to give away

6. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    I have a BFX-100. I bought it with the intention that it would be my main amp.

I need a new one, quite frankly.

You have the right idea, buying a cheap amp for a practice amp and not an expensive one for a practice amp, like I did. (it hardly goes out of my house due to its unwieldiness-it is just as difficult as moving around my refrigerator, per se).