Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crate Cabinets 2x15 (Any Good?)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LuisSavesTheDay, Dec 19, 2004.

1. LuisSavesTheDay

LuisSavesTheDay

Dec 17, 2004
    I saw about 3 Crate 2x15 cabinets in the pawnshops went to today. Ive always wanted to try one, but they dont really have any heads that would be worthy. What do these bad boys sound like? Theyre about $200 with a decent sized cabinet, no tweeter (as i like it). Anyone have any suggestions? I DO know that Hartke has a 2x15 XL that doesnt have a tweeter, but i dont have the money. Not only that, but they have aluminum cones that put out a lot of highend if im not mistaking. I already have a Peavey 4x12 with aluminum cones in it, but it farts out when i get loud and LOWWWW. Maybe the Crate 2x15's and the OTHER Hartke model VX 2x15 (The VX 2x15 has a tweeter with paper cones)

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I've got a Crate 8X10. slightly bigger than the 2X15, but it sounds pretty good. stopped using it when I got a an EVM 15L loaded 1X15 and then my current Mesa stack, but I've used the Crate for a couple years and they can put out a nice low-mid punch.

3. LuisSavesTheDay

LuisSavesTheDay

Dec 17, 2004
    Im not sure... It's a crate, and crates tend to be kind of "cheap". Cheap speakers, enclosement, and reliability tend to be the problem with them, and i dont wanna worry about that. Would a tweeter really make that big of a difference to my rig at a high volume?

4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I know Crate gets a really bad rap but I have known alot of people that use Crate and haven't had any problems. As far as the bass stuff though, I haven't known anyone that has used it and I personally have never tried them.

If you really would like to check one out, see if the pawn shop would let you bring in your amp to plug into it.