Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crate cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Orco87, Jun 25, 2001.

1. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas
    I might be able to expand my current rig setup to include a 4X10 cabinet made by Crate. I just want to know if their are anything bad and/or wrong with Crate cabs. I would buy somethin else if I could afford it, but I think the 4X10 that I saw at guitar center would go quite well with my 1X15 combo. :D But anyway, does anyone know of anything being bad or wrong with Crate cabs?

2. As far as I know they're pretty good. A friend of mine plays a Peavey Firebass through it and it sounds pretty good. It won't be as good as something like Ampeg or Eden (obviously). You might be able to get a used Ampeg for the same cost or cheaper than a new Crate so that's something you should look into.

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    One nice thing about shelling out for certain brands is that they don't lose much value... so later on if you want to upgrade or change your sound, most of your investment is still available to you.

You can buy a Ampeg B-2 combo amp for $699.

People are selling them used for over $600.

That's pretty damn good!

So, that in mind, maybe you should look into Ampeg, Fender, Eden, SWR... Good luck.

4. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas
    Thanks. The reason why I was asking was because I saw this crate at guitar center for $379. I deem that at a good price. So I was hoping nothing was wrong with it since you don't exactly see Crate 4X10 cabinets everywhere. My question has been answered. Thanks again guys! :D

5. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    One thing nobody mentioned is that crate and ampeg are produced by the same company. St. Louis Music or something like that. I'm sure there are some variations in quality to justify the price difference, but there are some similarities in sound.

6. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    I've used a Crate single 15" speaker cabinent. It had pretty good sound, but there were two things that I didn't like about it. One was the cheap plastic handles on the thing - they broke within the first two months. The second is the flimsy plastic input jacks/input jack panel. While it never broke down, it sure felt like it was gonna snap right off!

7. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas
    My crate combo has a slightly crappy input jack, but all-in-all it's a good combo amp. I like it. And hopefully if my (wanted) crate 4x10 can survive the weekend sale that Guitar Center is having, I can buy it! *cross fingers* Thanks again for you guys input, it's appreciated. :)

8. MypartnerStinks

MypartnerStinks

Jun 19, 2001
    I have played though hundreds of amps, some sound good some sound bad. I have had a crate guitar amp for almost 12 years now and it still works as good as the day i got it. Never owned a crate bass amp but i have played though them and the sound was good IMO. Fairly good amp for the price, but as poeple have said, you could probably find a better brand used for cheap. One thing to keep in mind if you go that route is you never know how the person before you treated that amp or cab.

9. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas
    Exactly, that's why I don't have too much of a favor for used stuff. And also, this is my daddy's :)D) money that is being spent, I'll pay him back sometime in my lifetime, but he ain't exactly into used stuff as well. If it was my own money, this thread most likely would not have been started. It probably would've been another thread that said "I got my 4x10!!!!!! :D", or something to that affect. Anyway, the crate amp that I have sounds pretty good, it brings out the lows. Can't hear the highs too well in loud gig soundin' settings, so, thus, I need the 4X10. If I keep on pushing my 15 the way I do, it's probably gonna blow, especially with the new news of a 2nd guitarist coming in. *sigh*