1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Crate guitar head for bass amplification?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fine Cut, Feb 20, 2008.

1. my friend bought a Crate solidstate head thinkin it was a Tube head, and now he wont use it. So i figured "hey, i have a bass cab i havent used live yet"...would i be able to power the bass cab w/ the Crate head, or would the runnin bass through it mess the head up? :eyebrow:

2. dmilt23451

dmilt23451

Sep 5, 2007
    Dallas TX
    It wouldnt mess up the head at all...although without more specifics on watts, model, and what cab you are attempting to run it with it is isn't fair to speculate if it would work out for you in a live situation or not

3. haha...yea that prolly would help wouldnt it...

it's a fairly aged crate head (with the older style Crate writing if that means anything to anyone, but it's hugeeeeee, and it's 160 watts...the cab is an inexpensive Hartke 115...i know, i know...i'm cheap lol

4. dmilt23451

dmilt23451

Sep 5, 2007
    Dallas TX
    Well you could use it although i dont think it would have any advantage over your Ampeg combo, especially in terms of tone or even volume...

5. yea, it's got 60 watts over my combo, i'm hopin thats just enough to work (i usually have to tie 2 combos together to come through) and the combo i use right now is about to be traded for sound equip., so i need to piece myself another small gig rig...thanx for the help homie:bassist:

6. dmilt23451

dmilt23451

Sep 5, 2007
    Dallas TX
    Unfortunatly 60 more watts isn't going to come through much louder...IMO your best bet is to get a used head between 300-500 watts if you are having cutting through with your combo

7. ur absolutely right lol, but this is just to get by until i can afford a more powerful head. if i have to, though i hate doing it, i'll line out...i wish i could of tried the setup at practice, but it's hard to fit a hartke cab and gi-normous Crate head into a camaro lol...i'll update back on whether it actually turns out worth the time or not

8. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Apr 26, 2006
    Earth
    How does your friend buy an amp not knowing if it's transistor or tube?

9. He plays rhythm in my band, and is not very knowledgeable at all in the field of music, music equipment, music theory, pretty much anything music...the guy told him the tubes were in a box that came with the amp, but when he opened the box, guess what, no tubes...me and the lead gui**** chewed him out forever over that...

anyway, yea, he just didnt know how to tell a tube amp w/o tubes in it from a SS...

10. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    Use it along with your Ampeg combo. Ampeg for clean, Crate for distortion and effects.

11. i had thought about combinin em, but then i'd be chainin 2 amps, and i really wanna jus worry w/ one amp for right now. I've been chainin the Ampeg and an Ibanez combo together stacked, but i feel i should try n simplify my setup as much as possible...i'm still in my niche of tryin to identify "my sound'. i also dont wanna take up too much room, most of the stages i play on are pretty small...

12. Kennethfaria

Kennethfaria Banned

Mar 12, 2008
    I too have a question.
    I think my brother is getting a FREE Marshall head today. Yeah he's lucky alright. But he plays drums, could i use that head? I would be running it through a couple BFM cabs (as soon as they're done)

I mean would it damage the amp in anyway?

13. Kennethfaria

Kennethfaria Banned

Mar 12, 2008
    anyone?