Crate owners talk to me!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Usul, Apr 3, 2001.

1. I own a Crate BFX50 and so far it has been a good amp.But then again I never crank it up past "3" since I play in my house.

Just wondering what settings you guys/gals use.So far I have my amp dialed in with the generic settings in the crate owner`s manual.I have expearimented with the gain and shape settings(active?).As of now I keep the gain at about 71/2 and the shape at 12 o`clock.

Interested in how your amps are dialed in and how they sound.

Thanks in advance.

2. Well I got a BX-80 I don't really like it though because it distorts when you slap the bass. I have most of my settings at 12 o'clock except for the volume which I adjust frequently and the bass settings I turn a little sometimes when I want the added loudness.
  3. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    I have a BX-100, which I am well pleased with (check out my review in the Reviews section). Basically, I play ska/jazz and Christian alternative music. The tone that I'm going for is an almost dub/reggae thick sound. I run my bottom two EQ sliders (50 Hz and 100 Hz, I believe), up a notch or two. Leave everything in my midrange flat. I then roll off the 4 kHz, 8 Khz, and 16 kHz sliders by a notch or two as well. I'm playing a jazz bass with flatwounds for this, BTW; and I have the treble control rolled off completely (cutting trebles). I find that unless I'm practicing by myself, the Contour control is a little too muddy and thumpy for live work (at least with my settings). When I do use the contour, I leave it at 9 'o clock to add a little more thump (useful for keeping the overall volume relatively low while still hearing and feeling the bass).

So basically, no radical EQ'ing. Just boost a little at the bass end and cut a little at the treble end. Just remember, a little goes a long way.

I as well keep my gain running between 7 to 7.5.
    The places where I play tend to really accentuate bass sounds, so I don't end up having to run my amp hard at all - usually no higher than 5 on the master volume. Hopefully, I'll be able to crank it a bit more sometime though (believe it or not, I've never ever run my amp over 5 yet). Not that I like really loud music (then again, 100 watts isn't all THAT loud), but I just wonder how my amp would sound when "riding the rails" as they say...