Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crate owners talk to me!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Usul, Apr 3, 2001.

1. I own a Crate BFX50 and so far it has been a good amp.But then again I never crank it up past "3" since I play in my house.

Just wondering what settings you guys/gals use.So far I have my amp dialed in with the generic settings in the crate owner`s manual.I have expearimented with the gain and shape settings(active?).As of now I keep the gain at about 71/2 and the shape at 12 o`clock.

Interested in how your amps are dialed in and how they sound.

Thanks in advance.

Usul

2. Well I got a BX-80 I don't really like it though because it distorts when you slap the bass. I have most of my settings at 12 o'clock except for the volume which I adjust frequently and the bass settings I turn a little sometimes when I want the added loudness.

3. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    I have a BX-100, which I am well pleased with (check out my review in the Reviews section). Basically, I play ska/jazz and Christian alternative music. The tone that I'm going for is an almost dub/reggae thick sound. I run my bottom two EQ sliders (50 Hz and 100 Hz, I believe), up a notch or two. Leave everything in my midrange flat. I then roll off the 4 kHz, 8 Khz, and 16 kHz sliders by a notch or two as well. I'm playing a jazz bass with flatwounds for this, BTW; and I have the treble control rolled off completely (cutting trebles). I find that unless I'm practicing by myself, the Contour control is a little too muddy and thumpy for live work (at least with my settings). When I do use the contour, I leave it at 9 'o clock to add a little more thump (useful for keeping the overall volume relatively low while still hearing and feeling the bass).

So basically, no radical EQ'ing. Just boost a little at the bass end and cut a little at the treble end. Just remember, a little goes a long way.

I as well keep my gain running between 7 to 7.5.
    The places where I play tend to really accentuate bass sounds, so I don't end up having to run my amp hard at all - usually no higher than 5 on the master volume. Hopefully, I'll be able to crank it a bit more sometime though (believe it or not, I've never ever run my amp over 5 yet). Not that I like really loud music (then again, 100 watts isn't all THAT loud), but I just wonder how my amp would sound when "riding the rails" as they say...