Crate PowerBlock...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TreeChild, Feb 18, 2006.

1. TreeChild

Feb 28, 2005
    Wimberley, TX
    5 lb. 150 watt guitar amplifier. it says in the ad that it is good for bass too. has anyone had any experience with these?
  2. I haven't, but I imagine that it wouldn't sound too good for bass, being designed as a guitar amp. :meh:
  3. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    a very audio savvy guitar player friend of mine said the powerblock sounded pretty darn good, especially given the size weight and price. He is the kind of guy who is not fond of class D whatsoever, and even he said he was impressed with what it could do for guitar.

We need to persuade Crate to make a bass powerblock. I would love to buy a decent sounding bass head thats 7 pounds and smaller than a loaf of bread, for 200 bucks!!
  4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Note that if you have an outboard preamp, then you can bypass the Power Block preamp and speaker simulator by going in through the RCA aux input jacks.
  5. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    A Sansamp Bass Driver DI into a Crate Powerblock would be a small and lightweight combination for sure.
  6. 8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    I like mine. It is not loud enough for me for a band situation, but we play pretty loud. With fresh strings & an eq pedal on the front end, i think it can sound pretty good for bass. If you crank up the input gain, it can sound a lot like a cranked tube amp, IMO. But if you turn the eq knobs the wrong way it can sound like poop.

I also have used mine for direct recording for both guitar & bass. I took the preamp out of the head to the 1/4" input of the powerblock & the XLR/speaker simulator output of the powerblock direct into Pro Tools. I was quite pleased with the results.