Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crate PowerBlock

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mindabsence, Mar 12, 2006.

1. mindabsence

mindabsence

Mar 12, 2006
    Hey everyone,
    I was just wondering if anyone has any experience using the Crate PowerBlock as a bass head?
    I've read on a couple small site's around the internet that it can supposidly work for both guitar and bass. But being the concerned guy I am who has no money to replace stuff, I just want to make sure these site's are true and if I were to get a bass cabinet that I wouldn't ruin the head by cranking my bass through it at practises/small gigs.
    I can't seem to find a way to email Crate's support and don't have the money to call them long distance.

Thanks for any help you can offer, I appreciate it a lot!

2. I've played through one, and it was fine (class D amp)....just realize that the amp and the three-band eq are voiced for guitar vice bass. It works fine and is SUPER portable - comes with a very nice carrying case as well.

3. mindabsence

mindabsence

Mar 12, 2006
    that's understandable, i'll probably just set the EQ to soemthing rather generic and pickup an EQ to stick in my processing rack.
    I was just more worried about cranking it for gigging/practising only to find out that it could be used for bass, but more just practising, much like using a standard guitar amp but putting a bass through it instead.

4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I tried one out and it worked well. Just a couple of notes on testing the CPB. First, ignore the manual, and start with a fairly high setting on the master volume. Go real easy on the pre gain. Second, with a 1/4" to RCA cable, I think you can bypass the speaker simulator.

Wonderful concept. Hope they come out with a bass amp. They could put the Ampeg name on it. :bag:

5. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Nah, if it had the ampeg name it'd have to weigh atleast 80lbs right. ;)