Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crate vs. Carvin......you be the judge

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jahsekou, Apr 18, 2004.

1. call me biased, but I lean towards Crate. I own a BX-160 (w/ effects loop and built-in chorus effect) and the tone is crazy. Good for jazz, reggae and hard rock. I have never got that tone and clarity matched from Carvin.

*in Scarface voice*
    I'll move up to Sunn when I get big time, mayne

2. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    When it comes to combo amps Crate will always be a good choice. Decent tone, decent controls, Decent construction, Great prices. I don't know much about their FX series but I have an old bx100 and It is a great practice amp. I did play a at a party with it and it worked fine. There are some down sides to Crate amps but if you are using it as a practice amp I think they are one of the best to due the "bang for the buck" factor. For giging I think there are better, even for the price.

3. I have a Crate KX 50 combo that I use for tiny gigs and quiet rehearsals. It is a keyboard combo that I bought about 10 years ago for roughly $300. In summary, I describe this amp as heavy, underpowered, expensive, and with generally bad tone. Oh wait--I forgot that due to the construction/design of the circuit board and input jacks, the amp is also unreliable. Other than the few minor complaints above, I love it. YMMV.

4. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I've gigged/practiced with a Crate BXH-220 for the past two years and the power amp section has been used as a PA for a few parties and it's been great. It is now just a backup though as I use my Ampeg SVT-100 now. I'd still use the Crate if it was my only amp and not feel a need to have a backup, but since it's relatively light, I bring it for the hell of it. I'll use it if I'm required to have a DI out(don't have a SABDDI)/

5. I wouldn't buy a Crate, I don't have very extensive experience with them but the few times I have the tone was bad, the wires connecting to the input jack weren't soldered correctly causing it to lose contact every so often, and it was overall poor quality. I haven't used Carvin bass amps, however their DCM power amps are outstanding, and 100% transparent.

6. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    I've never personally had any electronics or wire issues with Crate. They have SLM electronics with Ampeg alike. -Luke

7. I played a crate for a while at a church where my band practiced. I could never get a sound I liked out of it even with a ten band EQ. I also played a BX-220 head at GC and thought it was much better. I almost bought it. But 10 minutes with an amp doesn't give you the whole story.