Crate vs. be the judge

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jahsekou, Apr 18, 2004.

1. call me biased, but I lean towards Crate. I own a BX-160 (w/ effects loop and built-in chorus effect) and the tone is crazy. Good for jazz, reggae and hard rock. I have never got that tone and clarity matched from Carvin.

*in Scarface voice*
    I'll move up to Sunn when I get big time, mayne
  2. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    When it comes to combo amps Crate will always be a good choice. Decent tone, decent controls, Decent construction, Great prices. I don't know much about their FX series but I have an old bx100 and It is a great practice amp. I did play a at a party with it and it worked fine. There are some down sides to Crate amps but if you are using it as a practice amp I think they are one of the best to due the "bang for the buck" factor. For giging I think there are better, even for the price.
  3. I have a Crate KX 50 combo that I use for tiny gigs and quiet rehearsals. It is a keyboard combo that I bought about 10 years ago for roughly $300. In summary, I describe this amp as heavy, underpowered, expensive, and with generally bad tone. Oh wait--I forgot that due to the construction/design of the circuit board and input jacks, the amp is also unreliable. Other than the few minor complaints above, I love it. YMMV.
  4. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I've gigged/practiced with a Crate BXH-220 for the past two years and the power amp section has been used as a PA for a few parties and it's been great. It is now just a backup though as I use my Ampeg SVT-100 now. I'd still use the Crate if it was my only amp and not feel a need to have a backup, but since it's relatively light, I bring it for the hell of it. I'll use it if I'm required to have a DI out(don't have a SABDDI)/
  5. I wouldn't buy a Crate, I don't have very extensive experience with them but the few times I have the tone was bad, the wires connecting to the input jack weren't soldered correctly causing it to lose contact every so often, and it was overall poor quality. I haven't used Carvin bass amps, however their DCM power amps are outstanding, and 100% transparent.
  6. VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    I've never personally had any electronics or wire issues with Crate. They have SLM electronics with Ampeg alike. -Luke
  7. I played a crate for a while at a church where my band practiced. I could never get a sound I liked out of it even with a ten band EQ. I also played a BX-220 head at GC and thought it was much better. I almost bought it. But 10 minutes with an amp doesn't give you the whole story.