1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Craving that GK sound...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by syndroam, Feb 17, 2017.

1. syndroam

syndroam

Sep 30, 2009
    Hellas
    I am currently using a Fender Rumble 500 combo which I like and is very easy to carry to rehearsal due to its very small weight. I think the amp is great for the money (got it when it first got out, not the prices have gone up) and I have no intention to let it go.
    Long story short... I think of getting a 700rb with a NEO cab. I really don't need the extra power, the fender covers me for the gigs that I play (there is always PA support) and is more than enough volume. What I miss is that GK sound that I had with an old Backline... I also crave a more quality sound than the fender.
    Am I spoiled? Maybe. Since volume is not an issue would you go with the smaller 350rb and save some cash?
    Also, NEO410 or NEO212?

2. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    You should get the MB800. I have one I use with either one or two 410 GK cabs. Sound is phenomenal.

3. matt holt

matt holt Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Cincinnati OH
    I would look into getting an mb115 or mb210. They are super lightweight for the power, and sound really good (especially considering the price/weight). They also have the option of being expandable via the MBP line of cabinets.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    How about an old 400/800rb and the cab of your choice? That's the "GK sound" to me.

5. Kro

Kro Formerly kap'n kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Unsure of what Backline model you had, but I'd argue that if that's the tone that you crave (the classic GK RB tone), then I'd stay away from the MB series. I just mentioned this in a different thread - they sound awesome, but they have a different tonal profile and feel than the classic GK sound that many associate with the 800RB and later RB models that carry on that lineage directly.

Depending on how much you'd want to pay, if the sound you want is what you got from your old Backline model, I'd try and find one of them used. You know what you're getting, they're cheap, and you're set.

If you're looking for a bit of an upgrade as well, I'd recommend looking for either a used 800RB, or one of the newer 400RB or 700RBs. Used they're all relatively inexpensive as far as these things go (if you look, you should be able to find any of those under $300).

As far as cabs are concerned, the general consensus is that the Neo 212 is more balanced than the 410 (which allegedly is deeper - perhaps too deep for some). I've never tried the 410, but I can confirm from first hand experience that my Neo 112-iis are nice and tight and balanced.

Gospel Bass Player likes this.
  6. Kro

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Beat me to it by a few seconds. Great minds.

Slough Feg Bass likes this.
  7. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    I own a 800RB and love it. But I was looking for something more mobile than a head plus a cab. So I managed to score a GK MB212II. It's a 800RB in a combo with two Neo 12's. 500 real watts too.

It sounds just like my 800 and can cover most any gig.

NortyFiner likes this.
  8. I have been playing my 400RB through a very old SVT 810 cabinet that a friend is leaving at a rehearsal space we share. I have had the 400 since the early 90's and used it with a 2x15 Peavey cabinet for a long time and currently use an old Acoustic cabinet when I need a big set-up. But boy does it work with that Ampeg. I'm trying to figure out a way to...um.. talk my friend out of it! Let's hear it for the 400/800RB's.

hintz, NOVAX, chiplexic and 5 others like this.
  9. Kro

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    This the model you're talking about, right?

Gallien-Krueger MB212-II - 2x12" 500-watt Bass Combo

Well, the extent that it's an 800RB in a combo is debatable (it definitely isn't literally one to prevent confusion to those unfamiliar with the model).

Not to discount your opinion - depending on how you used your 800RB, it could probably get you a similar clean tone with some EQ fiddling, but that's a Class D, SMPS amp that's great on it's own merits - it likely won't get you into the grindy, power-section overdriven sound that's a trademark of the RBs.

NOVAX and morgan138 like this.
  10. songwriter21

songwriter21 Involved with two girls. Cirrus and Milly. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Crazy as this may sound, but if you want the GK sound, don't go for any of these options. I use to have the traditional amp and cab like many, and got tired of the separate pieces, even if they weren't that heavy. I got the AMAZING Zoom MS60B pedal, paired with a DI and my in-ears, and never looked back. There is a preamp model on the Zoom, that I actually got to sound exactly like my old 1001RB-II head, believe it or not. It's some kind of 4-band model (forget what it's called..."AcBsPre" or something), and it was just like the GK. I wouldn't sell this pedal for the world, and it was only $100! Plus, you want to talk about happy soundguys....

It is the best thing in the world, taking all of 5 minutes, if that, to set up a KILLER sounding "rig"...connect your pedals, turn your in-ear system on, and you're done.

11. Kro

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    That's the Acoustic 360 preamp setting if I'm not mistaken. I guess in a way it makes sense. :thumbsup:

Not sure if the OPs Fender Rumble 500 would warm up that tone and color it too much though if going into the input. Easier to make a modern sounding amp sound vintage than the other way around in my experience.

I guess he could plug it right into the effects return to bypass the Rumble preamp - though if I recall correctly, he'd have to use the pedal as a master volume control - I think the effects return bypasses the master volume control on the amp (just something I think I remember hearing, happy to be corrected if I'm wrong)!

12. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    I picked up an Ampeg 810 after using my 400RB with a cheap Eden 410 and it was an epiphany! The sound is SO good.
    Also sounds great with my Hartke 210XL. Both classic combinations for great tone.

13. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    This is where your wrong. It does all of that, it's got the boost. Trust me.

14. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    Get a preamp pedal and use the effects loop on the 500. I have a rumble 500 head/cab rig, I sometimes bypass the preamp amp use the effects loop with a Tone Hammer, sounds like a completely different rig.

monsterthompson likes this.
  15. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    @Dave Hill has witnessed the two 800RB and the MB 212II side by side.

16. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    I don't mean one of the actual amp models, but one of the eq models, with that name I mentioned.

17. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    I'm curious...I have that GK combo(my only GK experience) and although it does sound good, often wondered if it was the GK sound as described?

18. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    I didn't even think of this the first time around!

Plex Preamp

monsterthompson likes this.
  19. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    I've compared them side by side. I like to really get my "rails" sound when using the 800RB and I've found the MB can also do it.

TomB and jchrisk1 like this.
  20. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Those things with an Ampeg cab absolutely kill. Forget this class D stuff :)