Craziest Pedals you've used for Bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ChromeTsunami, Mar 12, 2021.

1. ChromeTsunami

ChromeTsunami

Aug 7, 2018
    UK
    So I've got a few great pedals I originally bought for guitar (misguided fool I know, but it couldn't last... Went back to bass eventually), but I have them on my pedal board and occasionally use with my bass. This includes:
    The brilliant DigiTech Dirty Robot,
    The DigiTech Eternal Decent Lyra Limited Ed. pedal
    Digitech Hardwire TL-2 Metal Distortion,
    KMA Audio Machines Logan Overdrive,
    KMA Cirrus Spatial-Temporal Modifier (reverb/delay).

I wondered if any of you also use crazy pedals not designed for bass, and what kind of madness it makes to your tone?

Cheers, Chrome

monsterthompson and westrock like this.
  2. CryingBass

CryingBass Ours' is the only Reality of Consequence Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    upload_2021-3-12_22-17-21.jpeg

3. ^^^ /thread

4. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    About 35 years ago, the first time I plugged my bass into a Boss HM-2 Heavy Metal. It was like Whoa....not using that one in Church....
    My First go on a Swollen Pickle and then a Woolley Mammoth. Then I learned the trick with uber dirt...and a volume swell. I haven't looked back since. These days all my subtle and crazy dirt is care of Source Audio, the amazing Aftershock and the stunning Ultrawave. My SA C4 still makes my head boggle a bit...and the range of sounds available through it are mind blowing. I have more patches loaded on my C4 than I do on my primary Eventide H9. My Boss ES-5 blew my mind with it's ability to change the loop order of pedals and it's impressive midi control. That totally changed my pedal board eco-system. These days....if it's not Midi...I'm a bit "Mehhh"....

5. Fuzzonaut

Fuzzonaut

Aug 27, 2013
    Switzerland
    Miku and PLL are both crazy pedals I tried.
    Running them together is like another level, it's just nuts .... but a lot of fun.

Here's a silly clip that starts with some cable licking :smug:

0:00 Clean tongue
    0:04 Tongue into PLL
    0:14 Clean bass
    0:21 Bass into Miku
    1:07 Bass into Miku into PLL

6. That's me in a nutshell.

Not me in the pic, but may as well be ...
    ✔︎ MTB
    ✔︎ DB on Back
    ✔︎ Mountainous backroad
    ✔︎ Willingness to drag DB just about anywhere...

+1 Miku
    This was fun to plug into, should've bought it, didn't/still don't have a use for it:

2babaa740f37fc6e461e308375d7785b_sp.png

mikewalker likes this.
  7. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    What are the KMAs like in terms of built and sound?
    I've been toying with the idea of getting a queequeg...:)

monsterthompson likes this.
  8. ChromeTsunami

ChromeTsunami

Aug 7, 2018
    UK
    Very impressed with both... I wasn't sure what to expect when I got them, but pleasantly surprised... Quality is high. Hope this helps.

monsterthompson likes this.
  9. SLPimp

SLPimp An Injury to One is an Injury to All Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2020
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    +1 for the Dirty Robot. I'd never use it but I regret selling it.

HolmeBass likes this.
  10. Bruiser Stone

Bruiser Stone Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Dayton, Tennessee
    Peavey Dirty Dog. A huge, gnarly mutha. JJ Burnel in a box.

Erik herman and ChromeTsunami like this.
  11. The Earthquaker Afterneath is the only pedal I own and the only one I really care to own - other than the rainbow machine I guess, maybe the spatial delivery. They're wacky and fun and I like that about music.

ChromeTsunami likes this.
  12. Greg75

Greg75 Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Texas
    Probably the Mr. Spunkle Gnomeratron VTF or Digitech Whammy DT.

13. ficelles

ficelles Inactive

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    PLLs are crazy. I've built two Schumann clones, an EQD PLL clone and a PLL sub octave with a sequencer and they are all weird, glitchy, tracking is random on bass, but they are great fun.

14. Erik herman

Erik herman Gold Supporting Member

Vox Trike octave Fuzz!
    It’s like a micro pog and a big muff had a baby
    Actually got rid of my EQD Data Corrupter because it gets the same sound I was after but with easier tracking
    I’m still a big fan of the EQD Bit Commander and use that on my guitar board, works really well on bass too. The main difference between this and the Trike is the trike is more Fuzz and not a straight up square wave, which cuts through a little better on bass.

15. sludgetail

sludgetail

Feb 26, 2018
    Orange, CA
    Really enjoying the EHX Canyon, just picked it up and it’s been a fun release especially with a fretless...

King Weapon likes this.
  16. ItsmeSantiago

ItsmeSantiago Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2015
    First pedal I bought for guitar was an Ibanez SM7 and it's a fantastic pedal on bass. Definitely not a normal sound.

All the weird pedals I've sold I regret: Malekko Scrutator, EQD Transmisser and The Depths.

Currently waiting for a Pigtronix Mothership 2 to come in the mail. I've found use with all of these pedals from everything from prog rock to church music.

17. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Broughton PLL.

ChromeTsunami and gh0st42 like this.
  18. Just sold my Dirty Robot. A bit of a one-trick pony for bass and no separate wet/dry volumes.

HolmeBass likes this.
  19. Not designed for bass.... craziest sounding is probably my tech 21 gt2. It’s a guitar sans amp that simulates fender, Marshall, and Mesa guitar amps. But it can be used to dial in some interesting bass sounds. For example with a boss ls2 used as a blend it’s a pretty versatile dirt pedal for bass. By itself you can crank the lows and still use for bass but Im not a huge fan of dirty bass without any clean blended so it’s more of a sound I use for dynamic manipulation. it’s pretty cool for layering in the studio also. For example if you have a song that you feel needs some super low 8 string guitar on one part but your guitarists doesn’t want to play an 8 or a baritone tuned that low you can run bass through it and get some 8 string like sounds. I originally bought it because I saw one on Justin chancellor from tools pedalboard. I honestly think he just uses it to sorta warm up and mask some of the unlikeable artifacts of his old bass whammy. But one of the first things I noticed with it is using the California amp in the gt2 I can get very close to the 8 string guitar sound from Meshuggahs nothing album using just a bass and the gt2 direct. It’s also very useful for songwriting for guitar. I never plan to gig on electric guitar so I don’t want to buy a guitar amp and the gt2 is all analog and sounds pretty good, definitely good enough for demos.

Not as crazy but something I use a lot is the combination of my tc nova repeater and ditto stereo. The nova repeater is a delay I use to get my soloing sound, but also for some big ambient bass swells that are nice to use as filler or intros much like guitarist do in praise and worship music. The ditto is a great practice tool and can be used to create ambient washes for song intros and stuff.

really other than my octave and my main drive everything I use right now was designed for guitar. But really those along with maybe fuzz and compressors are really the only effects I specifically want bass versions of. Never really cared for any bass chorus I’ve tried, I’ve always prefered guitar chorus pedals. And a lot of effects don’t really have anything about them that needs to be bass specific.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  20. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    nice to know. I’ve been eyeing the Cirrus.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022