Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Craziest practice... EVER!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by PeaveyTNT, Jan 15, 2003.

1. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    My awsome, talented, and perfect band *Cough* Bull Sh*t!*Cough* Finally got a song recorded. The song was "All along the watch tower" By Mr. Hendrix.

We are waiting for it to be mixed and stuff.

After we recorded, drummer and guitarists mom needed us to move a fridge. So, in the process of doing that, the drummer broke 2 fingers, and the bassist/rythym player slit his pinky.

It was sorta humorous, but at the same time, not.

(Me and tyler switch off on bass and rythym.

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    hmmm..is this "Band/ moving buisness" a new thing..maybe i should look into it..haha..and uh, too bad about all the finger injuries. Sue their mom's for destroying your band's career!! That's the American way! heh heh...

3. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    the mom is our producer... without her, no recording!

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    If she's bankrolling this rock n roll fantasy, then she'd be your Executive Producer.

5. APouncer

APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    And perhaps you should learn who the song is written by?

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Didn't Dylan write that?

7. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    It was either dylan or hendrix... there has been so many re-makes of it that it doesnt really matter. we are doing the hendrix version though.

8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Robert Zimmerman!" AKA Bobby Dylan.

Dylan did say (anecdotal only) that he had no real arrangement for "Watchtower" when he wrote it. Give Hendrix credit for arrangement, Dylan for lyrics and music. Dylans' original version is like a poetry reading in a minor key.

9. Here's a humorous practice session story for everyone...

In 1988 I was one-fourth of a hard melodic rock band called Bigg Trouble. Repritoire was GnR, Aerosmith (both of whom we'd witnessed live in August '88 at Pocono Downs, Wilkes-Barre PA), Faster Pussycat, Led Zeppelin, and similar material. (No Warrant 'cause we hated their f*cking guts, and no Sex Pistols for some odd reason even though we all loved them). We used to prac Monday through Thursday, two to three hours a week and hang out for about an hour afterwards, noshing at a McPucks down the road from our prac space (our guitarist's house).

Our drummer Leo Kelly used to fill his snare drum with styofoam packing peanuts to get the sound he wanted. We were ninety minutes into a typical practice one night when Leo got a nick in his snare drum's head. I forget what kind of reaction Leo made when he saw this, although it was a rather positive one. For whatever odd reason, we got psyched up upon seeing the small curling piece of snare drum skin protruding from the instrument. I immediately started to play the opening riff to GnR's "It's So Easy" and we went into one of the most agressive run-throughs of the song we ever did. As we started into the song's coda, the snare drum sound went from CRACK! CRACK! CRACK! to snick! snick! snick! snick!. The three of us in the front line (me, singer Mark Reimiller and guitarist Damien Quick) turned around to see Leo still drumming, but scattering packing peanuts all over the floor and his kit on every 2nd and 4th beat. And we probably would have finished the song that way if all four of us hadn't immediately started laughing our asses off!