Craziest Thing You've Done At A Gig?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by CanadianBassGuy, Jun 24, 2001.

1. Well, I can't say mine is too crazy, but still, it was pretty dumb. About 20 minutes before my band wa gonna play our set, me and the guitar player decided to get some friendly moshing in. I just happened to forget that I am incredibly out of shape, so I was very out of breath, and when we had to go on, my throat was full of crap, and my fingers hurt from having them bent god knows how many ways, so it was hard to sing, and kinda hard to play, but it was fun. And it didn't help when I was jumping around Flea-style:D that I stepped on my cord going from the Flanger to the amp, that really sucked actually. But I had fun, and that's what music is all about. Oh yeah, we got bottled water too!!! That's definately what music is all about... free water... and fruit... but mostly fun.
  2. I was playing with my old time guitar partner, and with a great drummer also, a new friend of mine.

Then we played some rage against the machine, and it sounded very cool. Then, we started Killing in the name, and i usually know this song very well, but when the chorus began, i was all wrong, i couldn't remeber the song, and i was furious about it. It's not a mess, but forgot lines you know bu heart when it's not the time to, it's a mess for me
  3. its not something i did, more or less my singer. :rolleyes:

We were mucking about at rehearsal, u know rockstar poses and what not during our set. Well as i'm headbanging away i got this sense that something odd was gonna happen, i look up to see a large couch back pillow come flying my way. Hit me in the head, funny thing was i didn't miss a note. hahaha

Things get thrown by him a lot, a rotten apple we found on the ground hit the guitarist.hmmm, bottles and the like......

funny starf...

4. furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    I once killed a man while at a gig. True story.

Also, I bit the head off a dove.

And I killed a chicken on stage once.

No, really, it's true! =/
  5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Destroyed a stage. Literally. They threw it away after the gig. :D

I warned them that I got carried away, honest I did.

Not what you'd expect from a 36 year old dude with short hair, but hey I was playing some heavy stuff (believe it or not, I had a gig a couple years ago playing stuff like Rage Against The Machine), gotta stomp around a bit, y'know.
  6. penstock

Aug 10, 2000
    i played while running through the pit. it was fun, but not the brightest idea in the world. it was a lot harder to play out there than i thought. it won't be happening again any time soon.
  7. furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Sadly, I've got a pretty dull stage presence.

The "craziest" thing I've ever done was tell a bassist joke to a room filled with 100+ classmates of mine who A) weren't even paying attention and B) were probably for the most part too slow to even get it (it was the long one about the genie and guitarists getting double the bass player's wish). It wasn't very "crazy" at all. More like just a bad move, really. Not that it mattered, because they were just waiting for us to finish up our one song and get off stage so the annoying (but at least talented) "Hawaiian" group could go up after us. The bastards.
  8. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Not crazy, but way stupid... Back in the early eighties, ('82 I think), my band was playing at Gazzari's in Hollywood along with several other bands on a free night, (anything to get a gig, which we eventually did). The stage that we were on was the same height as the little cocktail tables that they had all over the club, including right at the edge of the stage. I'm looking so good wearing this lame-a** kimono looking thing, bare feet, long hair, big red scarf tied to my headstock... It's time for the bass solo, my moment, I go galavanting to the end of the stage, strike my best pose... I was so hot! Unfortunately, I was also on one of those stupid cocktail tables which immediately toppled and sent me right off the stage, flat on my back! Faltered my way through the solo, finished the song sitting on the floor in front of the stage. To this day, I still; have a huge aversion to soloing! This was also the same night that the guitarist and I had our axes swiped from backstage... Ahhh the fond memories!

9. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    at our schools last talent show it was pretty crazy

our band didnt have a singer so we got a bunch of friends to go on stage and dance around (since our band and our friends have a rep of being the wierdest "kookyest" people in our grade) so we had 5 other guys up there and me and the guitarist dancing around like idiots and then 2 of the "dancers" get mics and start screaming "rock n roll fellas" and "cammon guys" with english accents. boy that was funny. then our band and some others started a mosh pit for the band after us (were friends with them). and it "evolved" into a mix of pop dancing and line dancing combined. good times.
  10. Not so much the craziest as the dumbest, but anyway...

At the last school talent show, our band plugged in, got our tones all set etc...and started the song. Since Everlong is so boring to play :)D) I decided to roam around the stage. I hade my 20 foot cable, so I was free to roam almost anywhere on stage I wanted (the school auditorium stage is about 25 feet wide not including the wings, and about 15 or 20 feet deep). Silly me, though, I walked a little to far from the amp and unplugged myself. :oops:
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Don't we have a whole forum for this sort of thing - the clue is in the title - "Gig Stories". There are loads of replies to this question in there! :rolleyes:

Might as well keep all this together huh?
  12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000

I was waiting to see how long it would take for someone to bring this up.
  13. Bean

May 4, 2001
    I've never heard this joke. What is it?
  14. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Well, correct me if I'm wrong futrim, but if it's the one I'm thinking of, it goes like this...

A bassist is walking down the round when he finds a lamp, Picking it up and rubbing it, as you do, he's delighted to discover a genie sprouting out of the lamp in a puff of smoke.

"Alright, you know the score" the genie says. "Three wishes, but I must warn you - whatever you wish for, every guitarist in the world shall recieve twice of!"

Unperturbed, the bassist wishes for a new axe, and in a puff of smoke, a brand new Pedulla appears right in front of him. However, his joy is tainted by the sight of someone holding two new Strats, which have just suddenly materialised from the ether.

Next, our hero decides he's had enough of egotistical bandmates hogging all the groupies, so he wishes for a gorgeous young model. All of a sudden, an attractive bird walks up to him smiling. Imagine his horror then as he notices someone in a Stevie Vai t-shirt with two nubile ladies, one on each arm.

Now in a rage, our bassist friend informs the genie that he wants to make his final wish. "What is it, master?" asks the genie.

"You know... I've always wanted to donate a kidney." comes the reply.
  15. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I heard the same joke but the punchline was.....
    ....."and for my third wish Id like to have one of my Testicles removed."
  16. BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I heard the same joke only "he wanted to be choked half to death"
  17. furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    That's precisely the one, yawnsie. I love that joke. ;)
  18. Well, not crazy, kinda funny...

I was about to play with my old band at the school talent show. Stage lights were off, as we were on stage and everything. The "lead" guitarist said "I forgot to plug in my effects loop" (he didn't even need all those effects, a simple distortion was all he used). So we had to wait.
    So i tell the other guitarist to follow me, and I break into "Country Song" by Blink 182 (jug band tune mocking country music). The drummer joins in and the house lights go on. I noticed that a bunch of friends were sitting in front row, so i told them to come on stage for a little while. Now Imagine this: Five grade eleven students and their friend bassist jumping around on stage, a drummer and Rhythm guitarist in the back and an ill mouthed lead guitarist who is still trying to plug in his efx loop.
  19. Newsted

Jun 24, 2001
    i dont now if it is creazy but while we play a song the battery of my pedal was finnis the rest of the band continiu play and i was changing the batteri