1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Crazy 1940's Bass player

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tony CC, Nov 12, 2010.

1. I'm not sure if this video has ever been posted here before, but I just ran across it and thought it was both funny and cool.

Give it a minute and the Bass player's performance really gets intense.

2. dogofgod

dogofgod

Dec 24, 2009
    1:10 in and its great, lol. Wow.

3. Alabass

Alabass

Nov 12, 2010
    Mobile, Alabama
    Man that guy is rocking out way before his time. Cocaine is a helluva drug.

4. That absolutely MADE my day.

Nice find!

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Except that he's not playing the bass line you're hearing. Watch in the early part of the music ... there's no way he's playing those arpeggios. Later on, he does move in the pattern of them. They're playing over recorded music.

6. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    And his heart Exploded immediately after the filming...luckily, each hair was still precisely in place......

7. Delta_Petra

Delta_Petra

Feb 26, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Is this proof of the first Rockabilly Bassist?

8. This video gets posted up every now and then. I never get sick of it.

9. That was great! I do stuff like that in my school's orchestra, I tend to really get into the music and keep time but moving around and really getting into the music.
    That would be a fun gig to get. We need a vibraphone orchestra nowadays

10. rokx

rokx

Nov 13, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    HOLY...damn.
    At first, I would have just said, he counts as a marimba queen, but then after his solo, I guess he's just a total nut-job.

11. Rocks

Rocks

Mar 9, 2009
    Willoughby, Ohio
    I was thinking the same thing, his fingering hand doesn't match what I am hearing in many parts. But he sure had the metal head banging attitude. Now I have seen the roots of head banging. The only thing that bums me out is I wish he was wearing a hair piece, would be hilarious watching the animal pelt fly off his head mid solo.

12. Whatever that bass player is on, it's got to be illegal by now!

Also, can you imagine the headache you'd get sitting through a two-hour vibraphone concert? :(

13. Headbanger!

14. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    'Crazy bass player in his 40's?

15. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    I'm thinking he may have been the inspiration for the Muppets' Animal.

16. ^^^^
    Pfft that guy sucks. This drummer has FAR superior stage prescense. AND hes actually playing the song. AND he has better hair.

17. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Ah yes, the big production number from Reefer Madness. Haven't seen that in a while.

18. That bassist is Frank DeNunzio, Sr., and he really could play like that, he died just a few years ago, but his memory lives on! I believe one of his decendents is still around and owns that bass.

19. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    He was ahead of his time! He stole the show.

20. it does remind of a time when live music in almost any form could find audiences......people used to go out to dance halls and the like in the days before the tv/net/texting/i poods/ replaced them all....