1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Crazy 88: If I juice the bass will I get the girth?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kittyboy, Jun 12, 2012.

1. kittyboy

kittyboy Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Dear Mike and Greenboy (and TB),

I'm very excited by the new Greenboy/Arnopol creations--the Crazy 88 and the Bassic 12, super light hi-fidelity speakers capable of doing double duty as bass speakers and as PA/FRFF monitors.

Due to box size etc I know that these won't get as big and girthy as some other great speakers currently available. My understanding is that in terms of girth it goes like this:

fEarful 12/6>TC112>Bassic 12>Crazy 88

What I want to know is--if I give the bass frequencies a nice boost, how big and assertive can the Bassic 12 and Crazy 88 get?

This is one of the hardest audio things to explain in words IMO--the body or "heft" of a sound--but I'm hoping you'll say a little something about how the Bassic and 88 might compare girth-wise to a 12/6 or TC112, after juicing the Bassic and 88 with some extra low end from the amp. Can they get into the territory of the TC112 or 12/6? Can these new guys take a lot of low-end boost?

I'm using a Clarus+, the most powerful Clarus, so even if this requires a lot of extra power I think I'd be covered. I'm also curious how a 12/12 or 88/88 stack might stack up girth-wise.

Thanks for bringing such great creations into the bass world you guys--makes it way funner and easier for us to get the awesome sound we hear in our hearts. Much appreciated, especially by those of us who shouldn't carry heavy loads anymore!

2. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Inactive Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    Hi
    The 88 has no problem taking eq to get that "girth". Of course if you boost too much you lose some dynamic range

but-----

if you add the new Fdeck HPF (series 3--almost out) that limitation changes dramatically. It will go MUCH louder and even with the bass boost it will be more taut. I don't leave home without it. With the Fdeck the low end can balance with what I think is the best midrange out there. With the Fdeck engaged I think you can edge past the Bassic 12 (without the HPF) and start knocking on the door of the TC112. The 12/6 is still going to beat it by a small amount. As Francis has said to me that he thinks that the HPF is a necessity with the 8's. They sound great without but I feel more and more that they should be sold as a package. They have a warm but focused low end. And studio mids and highs. When I combined an 8 with an 88 with the Fdeck the clouds parted. Now I could keep up with a 12/6. It has the type of girth that I like. Warm, solid low end without boom and overhang.

It's a different flavor than the 2 exemplary speakers---the Fearful and the TC. The Bassic sounds great in a more traditional sense. Warmth, detail, girth--but not in as much of a spectacular way as the other three.

3. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    +1 to Mike's comments. I use an AI Clarus with a Crazy88 with FDeck HPF-Pre and the tone and output is fabulous. I also have a Crazy8 and the C8/88 stack will cover virtually anything I need. In a few days I'll have my 2nd Crazy88 and while I expect it to be overkill, I'm looking forward to the results :bassist:

I've owned a 12/6, a TC112 and TC115, and an Acme Low B-112 Full Range. The TC115 is in another category in terms of single cab output, but the Crazy cabs will hold their own against any of the above IMHO.

4. kittyboy

kittyboy Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks for the feedback fellas. I'm excited to hear an 88 with the FDeck III!