Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

crazy a** arpeggio's

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by DeepDeath, Jul 28, 2002.

1. can anyone tab or note or shows or tell me some arpeggios that just sound crazy, ive learned the basic minor and major ones. i want to use it for soloing and some parts where the band im in wants to show the true limits or should i say unlimited things you can do on bass, all i can say is adam nitti style! heh o yea this is 4 strings would help

2. Looking at your profile I would suggest a little Steve Harris or Cliff Burton.

For songs with ripping arpeggios off the top of my head:
    Cliff: Pulling Teeth
    Harris: Phantom of the Opera

3. nah i can already play that, i need some crazy ones!

4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Well if you know those, trying playing them backwards, or play every second note or play them an octave lower, or higher. youd be amazed what you can come up with

5. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Check out some of Victor Wooten's stuff, especially his solo stuff - you'll find some pretty interesting sweeps and such there.

By "crazy" I'm going to assume that you mean "stuff you aren't going to hear in Top 40" type of thing. You might try looking at some dim, sus or 6 chords, for example. The possibilities are endless, and knowing a little chord theory goes a long way.

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Arpeggios are arpeggios - the word "arpeggio" simply means "broken chord". If you're looking for ways to make regular arpeggios sound "crazy", tabs aren't going to help you because that'll be a rhythmic thing. If you're looking for weird chord structures to arpeggiate, then maybe you could try making a list of what chord structures you DO know and post it here. After that, folks could chime in with alternate suggestions for you to explore.

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    _____S_______L

_____B_______I

_____A_______V

_____T_______E

they will NOT help you to understand an arpeggio or chord as Durrl stated, thats a rhythmic thing, tabs have no rhythmic quality what so ever.

Just take the time to learn some chords then experiment with various picking patterns on them.

If my memory serves correct an arpeggio is the I-III-V-VIII of a chord. But then Ive also heard you can use all the tones of the chord and arpeggiate it any way you choose.

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

You're on the right path, but when you use Roman numerals, it generally denotes Chords, whereas when you use Arabic numerals, you're usually showing chord or scale tones. So a triad arpeggio would be shown as 1-3-5, etc, and a 7th chord arpeggio would be 1-3-5-7, etc...

By the way, I get the uneasy feeling that you're putting subliminal messages in uR tAbS....y WoOd U wAnT 2 dO tHaT 4? 4R3 U l33t?

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    ahhh i knew the roman numerals were for chords but i didnt know that about the arabic numerals. I thought you used the romans for both. *shows what i know* So danka for pointing that out to me.

yes i was sending out subliminal messages in my tabs. My site reading still is'nt the best, dag um rhythmic stuff still throws me on certain aspects, but its still alot more valuable to me than tabs cos

_______S______K

_____B________C

____A_________U

___T__________S

ThEY SuK CuZ THeY DoNT GoT No SoNG QuaLItEE LiKE RIThmIC VaLUe, kEY SiGnAtUReZ, eTc. ThEy OnLY tElL yA wHut, FrETs tO HiT, HeCK a MuNKey KAn LUrn 2 dO DaT!