Crazy Bass Situation

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CoryBelcher, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Well, a friend of mine built me a bass about a month ago. I posted pics of it a while back. It was a kick ass bass... walnut top, alder body.... 3 piece neck with 2 parts maple and 1 purpleheart. birds eye fingerboard. Loved this thing...

Anyhoo- Im playing bass a couple nights ago and i notice a slight bump in the neck, ever so slight. I check the back of the neck, and sure enough- right by the first fret, in the purple heart strip, theres a small crack.... apparently the pressure of the trussrod made it split. This is barely noticeable unless you closely examine the bass- but when playing the bass you feel the bump each and every time.... and the crack seems to get deeper and longer by the day.

Well, the day after i noticed it, I called my buddy scott, who built the bass, and told him about the imperfection... he pondered for a day on how he would fix the neck... possibly building me a whole new neck.... then he calls the next day and says- "were just gonna build you an entirely new bass".

SO the man is gonna build me a whole new bass, my choice of woods, electronics and everything else.... hes gonna take back the old bass and salvage it for parts. But Im extatic about this... I loved the old one... but there is something so exciting about having a bass built for you, with your choice of woods and what not.

Well, here are the specs for the new bass.

Walnut body, thin slice of maple in btwn, and a Padouk top (pictured below)- matching padouk headstock cover.

Three piece maple neck... morado fingerboard....abalone dots.

Fat humbucker Fender RB 5 Pickups- bartolini preamp

Its (obviously) a 5 string, its a 35" scale, and a bolt on.

(sorry, for wahetevr reason i cant upload online with my work comp)

Talk about customer service... look out for this guy- he's built three incredible basses in the past few months. He's built plenty more, but the past three have been stellar- aside from this messup.... but i blame it on the purplehearts inability to bend or flex at all ;) (damn purpleheart)
  2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    It's 'cause nobody else can see your picture--it's sitting in your Yahoo mail inbox, not on a website.