1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Crazy Bass Situation

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CoryBelcher, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Well, a friend of mine built me a bass about a month ago. I posted pics of it a while back. It was a kick ass bass... walnut top, alder body.... 3 piece neck with 2 parts maple and 1 purpleheart. birds eye fingerboard. Loved this thing...

Anyhoo- Im playing bass a couple nights ago and i notice a slight bump in the neck, ever so slight. I check the back of the neck, and sure enough- right by the first fret, in the purple heart strip, theres a small crack.... apparently the pressure of the trussrod made it split. This is barely noticeable unless you closely examine the bass- but when playing the bass you feel the bump each and every time.... and the crack seems to get deeper and longer by the day.

Well, the day after i noticed it, I called my buddy scott, who built the bass, and told him about the imperfection... he pondered for a day on how he would fix the neck... possibly building me a whole new neck.... then he calls the next day and says- "were just gonna build you an entirely new bass".

SO the man is gonna build me a whole new bass, my choice of woods, electronics and everything else.... hes gonna take back the old bass and salvage it for parts. But Im extatic about this... I loved the old one... but there is something so exciting about having a bass built for you, with your choice of woods and what not.

Well, here are the specs for the new bass.

Walnut body, thin slice of maple in btwn, and a Padouk top (pictured below)- matching padouk headstock cover.

Three piece maple neck... morado fingerboard....abalone dots.

Fat humbucker Fender RB 5 Pickups- bartolini preamp

Its (obviously) a 5 string, its a 35" scale, and a bolt on.

[​IMG]
    (sorry, for wahetevr reason i cant upload online with my work comp)

Talk about customer service... look out for this guy- he's built three incredible basses in the past few months. He's built plenty more, but the past three have been stellar- aside from this messup.... but i blame it on the purplehearts inability to bend or flex at all ;) (damn purpleheart)

2. is it cuz im a noob?

3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    It's 'cause nobody else can see your picture--it's sitting in your Yahoo mail inbox, not on a website.

Mike