1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Crazy bass tone (Demon Hunter)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mutant Corn, Sep 19, 2008.

1. So I was listening to "The Tide Began to Rise" by Demon Hunter, and realized that the bassist has one of the heaviest tones I have ever heard come from a bass.

Any insight as to how this was achieved? I'm guessing multiple channels were involved...

2. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    Honestly, it just sounds like a typical metal bass tone...lots of fuzz. reminds me of nighwish, not sure what marco hietala uses though.

looked it up on wikipedia and he (marco hietala) uses warwick basses and amps, with some sans amp stuff. not sure if that helps

3. kjs

kjs

Sep 13, 2008
    Chicago
    First note sounds like a fretless bass, the rest sounds like a synth. Not really that easy to tell listening to on youtube.

There is some really fuzzed out riffage around the 2 minute mark...sounds like fuzz and an octaver.

4. It's fuzz? I was thinking full-on distortion there....like at 1:55. I'm no expert there, though...

The 'wick explains part of it

5. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    fuzz is more extreme than "full on distortion", for future reference. like i said it sounds like marco hietala's tone, bassist from nightwish if you don't know who he is.

6. ^..oh. I always thought of fuzz as a bass version of the fuzzboxes from the 60's...we all learn sometime I guess.

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It is exactly like the fuzzboxes of the 60's... which use a more extreme form of clipping than what is usually referred to as "distortion" when talking about fx pedals.

8. well I've learned something new then. I guess I always though of fuzz as what's used on "American Woman". Never really put 2 & 2 together when I heard it applied in liberal proportions, yaknow?

Maybe I noticed the tone because of the context it was in? It's the only distorted instrument being played..

edit: I should go to bed

9. Thats the nightwish song I love, the slide at the beginning makes me cream

10. Furthermore:

11. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    the songs not bad but I really don't like that bass tone , I had to check my speakers when the bass came in , I thought my crappy pc speakers had started to bite the dust , then I realised it was that guys bass playing. Not meaning to be a hater , just giving my opinion , I should also probably mention that I do listen to a fair bit of rock and metal where fuzz and overdrive is used a lot so its nothing against rock or metal.
    Anyways not to hijack the thread or anything but just to show how tastes differ , this is one of my favourite bass tones in a metal song