1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

crazy concepts, idiotic ideas, bass banalities... here's mine, what's yours?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass V, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've been wanting a Torzal Twist by Jerome Little Little Guitar Works |  Torzal Natural Twist
    upload_2018-11-6_5-0-17.
    it got me dreaming again of how to optimize my custom order and it got pretty out there after seeing some other intriguing innovations like the equally odd Endurneck, TT frets, and fanned frets. then, of course, the thot was of combining all these to possibly make the ultimate bass. could it work? probably not. if it did, would it eventually just hang on the wall as an odd looker cos a regular bass is just as good? I can easily see that. but what if something so kooky became the creation of the century, would you buy it or build your own and drive that bad dude proudly like The King Of Men?
    upload_2018-11-6_5-11-43.
    what whacko wonders have you come up with? maybe I can incorporate them lol
    so far I've ruled out adding scalloped fretboards and carrots.
    Torzal Twist - Google Search
    TT frets bass - Google Search
    Endurneck - Google Search

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I like the rubbery finish on the American made Musicman SUBs. If I ever get a custom bass built, which I won’t, I’d want it with that finish.

el_Bajo_Verde likes this.
  3. JesterJoker010

JesterJoker010

Nov 4, 2018
    That bass is no good, it has a warped neck!

4. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    a warped neck for warped minds lol

5. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    As far as I know, there are fan-fretted Torzals out there. With enough money, you might get LGW and Sandberg to cooperate (one licensing the design to the other?) on a fanned EndurNeck Torzal...

Bass V likes this.
  6. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    I'd want one finished in alternating red and white stripes, so I'd have a peppermint Twist.

7. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    I'm building a cigar-box , Fender style 4-string thing with around a 20" scale length.

I want to build-in some effects also, and am considering picking up some beaten-up unwanted pedals, removing the electronics and mounting them inside the cigar box, and put new switches/buttons along the edge of the cigar box.

bdgotoh, Fuzzonaut, Krizz and 4 others like this.
  8. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

Ed's got your bass...he always gets to play some cool stuff!

JIO and Bass V like this.
  9. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I'm thumbing thru my SMOKIN' reply options lol sounds interesting and unique!

bearfoot likes this.
  10. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've watched that about a million times lol not much else out there on the Twists

11. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

Yeah, but what about everybody else checking out this post? Spread the knowledge at TB....that's what I like about TB.

Bass V likes this.
  12. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I'm curious how successful the Twists have been as far as sales, or for his necks. not much info around.

13. ihaveaquestion

ihaveaquestion

Jan 9, 2018
    one stupid idea i have is ordering a thick and square neck (the fender-like heel shape would be continuous but with some tapering on the edges). I'm sure it would heavily neckdive but the roundness of the necks are uncomfortable to me

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    Bass V likes this.
  14. tr4252

tr4252

May 27, 2013
    I bought the mortal remains of a '65 Mustang (guitar) basket case some 15 years ago at a guitar show. $65.00 bought me a neck, body, and not much else. Since it was pretty much a blank slate, I indulged in most of the modifications I like or wanted to try; beveled the body like a Hagstrom, put a Duncan JB in the neck and a DiMarzio Multibucker (2 single coil size humbuckers in a humbucker sized package) at the bridge, wired it stereo and ended up with 4 DPDT switches to include all possibilities of in/out phasing on the numerous pickup combinations available (in other words, combinations of a total 4 pickups housed in the 2 humbucker covers), plus selector switches, and of course put a horse shoe style Bigsby where the ugly Fender trem had been. I was going to build in the guts from an Ebow, but I'd already done that on a custom I'd built. It got a nice black nitro finish.

Finally the guitar of my dreams. If looks could Kill, to bend a phrase. Some fantastic tones, along with a few dumpy ones. Very playable, though I don't lean toward short scales as a rule. Overall very good results.

I don't enjoy playing it much, though it looks good on the wall. Every time I pick it up I'm fiddling with controls on the guitar and amps. I built only one stereo splitter box, and I don't know where it is right now. Not willing to buy matching amps, I usually used a tube Champ and a solid state Vox Cambridge, which sounded more like a confrontation than the musicality I was looking for, sometimes.

So, it's an example of a dream guitar which turned out, not nightmarish really, but a little Kafkaesque. I'm glad I did it, but wouldn't build anything like it again.

That said, the next truly great bass design may be "invented" by some guy just trying a bunch of whacky stuff, who knows?

Tom

7:15 pm edit: corrected mistake about number of pickups and added meaningless comments.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  15. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    Jaco didn't need twisted necks.

jamro217 likes this.
  16. ihaveaquestion

ihaveaquestion

Jan 9, 2018
    pics please

juancaminos likes this.
  17. tr4252

tr4252

May 27, 2013
    Sorry, but I'm not a paying member and can't send photos, last time I checked. Maybe I can put photos somewhere else and provide a link.

Tom

18. RobTheRiot

RobTheRiot

Aug 31, 2016
    las Vegas, nv
    You don’t have to be a paying member to post photos.

You can host it off site & provide a link, but easier than that, when creating a post, hit the “Upload a File” button below the “Post Reply” button... that’ll allow you to upload directly to site, and choose wether you want images full size or thumbnail. Nice & easy.

Hope that helps, as I’d like to see photos as well!

19. tr4252

tr4252

May 27, 2013
    Thanks! I'm going to find an old guitar and an old camera, and take some pictures.

Tom

juancaminos likes this.
  20. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    Two-string bass. Just the E and A.

I guess it would be easy to do by using the middle two bridge saddles, and widening the A and D nut slots.

Fuzzonaut likes this.