1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Crazy Craiglist

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mongolian Bass, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Mongolian Bass

Mongolian Bass

Dec 28, 2008
    So I was checking out craigslist a few minutes ago and wanted to see if anything cool was for sale. I was searching for jazz basses and saw a slightly damaged Geddy Lee signature bass for what seemed like a good price. Then I saw this: http://orlando.craigslist.org/msg/3059813587.html :eyebrow:

I don't think I am mistaken when thinking that this bass is the same exact bass seen here: http://www.rondomusic.com/product4829.html

I thought it was a weird/funny craigslist post because the seller claims it is both rare, vintage, and worth around $650. So I thought I would share with all of you who are willing to read this.

2. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem.

Welcome to CL. Where anyone can call anything anything and attempt to sell it for what it's not. As long as you're not shelling out cash, it's a pretty entertaining place to visit when there's nothing happening in O-town.

3. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!!

Dec 7, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Blurry photos are indicative that something's amiss. BTW, I skip adverts in which the photos leave out the headstock front, concealing the brand. It also appears that it's the same 6-string from Rondo Music; the dual skunk stripes are a dead giveaway. Good catch!

4. ejmy

ejmy

Nov 30, 2008
    I sent the seller the link to the this thread LOL

5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

6. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    WHY????!!!!

7. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    not that it would matter even if the seller of that rondo bass looked here, all he would find out is that the OP of this thread probably posted this rebuttal I found in the CL page:

6 String Jazz Bass Guitar ? - $650

Date: 2012-06-28, 9:07PM EDT
    Reply to: 4fjqn-3107580679@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Do you really think that even though you modded that 6 string jazz bass with a new preamp that it is really worth more than 3 times the price of the unmodded bass new. Of course it is not available right now to be bought new, but really? Those who don't know where this bass came from can see here: http://www.rondomusic.com/product4829.html
    And to those who don't know who I am posting about can see the post here: http://orlando.craigslist.org/msg/3059813587.html

8. Staffordness

Staffordness

Sep 20, 2010
    Hello fellow tb'rs I just so happen to be the seller from the post you guys are chopping up on this thread. I just wanted to address the subject after one of you emailed me actually calling me a scammer. First of all I'm a professional musicians that travels all around this country and world and relationships are vital to me so the idea that I would try to scam or get.over on someone is pretty offensive to me. Now if you don't agree with what I asked for on my post that's fine then disagree but to post me on a site where I'm also a member and say that I'm a con artist is a whole nother thing. I know that the original price of the bass was $169 because I bout it but after I put almost $800 worth of work into it I didn't think asking $650 was unfair and obviously neither Sid the buyer.

9. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    please tell us what 800.00 you spent to mod this rondo-unit to get it to it's "worth"?

10. Staffordness

Staffordness

Sep 20, 2010
    Gladly, first off the aim of this project for me was to capture the sound of the lowend jazz bass produced by Brian Barrett so I bought a pre from him which was $300 plus $80 for my luthier to installounded good then but it was killing the poor sx pups so I went to Brian again and bought a pair of his pups for $300 them another $75 for the install of those plus a few pots I had to buy and after that new strings AMD a fill set up job. Which put me at $800 invested into the bass and it was a monster, lesser quality of course than what Brian sells for $3,000 but that same viscous sound. Only problem for me was that the neck was just to big and uncomfortable for me which is the only reason I sold it ans taking into consideration that it was an sx bass I sold it for less than I even put into it. Hope that answers your question.

11. G00D+~VIBES

G00D+~VIBES

Nov 21, 2008
    Kansas City
    Ah, the benefits of full-disclosure in a sale...

we have come full circle :0)

12. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    it answers my question, but I'm not the OP who started this in the first place.
    it would have been smart for the OP to email/call you first and ask why you are trying to sell a 150buck bass for 4 times that, but he didn't.
    plus when your CL ad did not say any of that, not showing the preamp, the pickups or anything else but 4 blurry cameraphone pics.

this tends to make anyone believe your potential buyer was getting suckered into something that was not worth what you advertised even though you DID post your phone number to ask questions..

13. Staffordness

Staffordness

Sep 20, 2010
    Yes i agree that the post could have been more detailed but instead of writing a page long description on CL I decided that I could fully describe the bass in detail to anyone who had an interest in it which is why I left personal contact info. Never the less the original poster of this thread I don't get, being that he would suggest I'm a scan or con without any interaction or conversation with me and another laugh to the other clown that emailed me to call me a scammer instead of asking any questions about the post at all. No hard feeling its just that my name and reputation are meaningful to me and I wanted to clear this up.

14. BelleNoireBass

BelleNoireBass

Apr 18, 2012
    Bay Area
    If your name and rep are meaningful to you then realize any adds that you post like that up on clist will ALWAYS get the same reception from people browsing through them. I thought you were a scammer too based off the ad.

15. Staffordness

Staffordness

Sep 20, 2010
    Well I've done quite a bit of browsing and inquiries on CL and usually scam posts don't leave personal contact information. So I must say I differ on your opinion because if I read a post and a person left a number to contact them and also invited me to call and ask any questions about the item that post wouldn't jump out at me as a scam. Just my personal opinion.

16. sadasar

sadasar

Jan 21, 2012
    Dallas Texas.
    endorsing artist hard luck king guitars and knuckle head strings
    Aww man I was hoping we would get to go on another witch hunt like the time that eBay posting from the crazy swamp ash lady. Well never mind now.

17. Mongolian Bass

Mongolian Bass

Dec 28, 2008
    I am sorry if you thought I was claiming you are a scammer. In my first post I never claim anything so radical. This was just suppose to be a "check it this craigslist ad" thread. I even say it is "weird/funny."

I also did not know you were a member of this forum and unless everyone knows you by your first name and phone number, as given in the craigslist ad, I don't think too many people would know it was you.

Having said that I still think it is kind of strange that in your craigslist ad you said the bass was vintage. Or I guess the description "Vintage jazz time" could have meant something else.

Also, as far as calling/emailing you as a smart idea, was not something that crossed my mind. I am, I guess, kinda young and have a lot to learn about life. If this thread has caused you any trouble, I am sorry.

18. pmchenry

pmchenry

May 6, 2012
    SE PA
    I don't think you have anything to apologize about. The post looked like a scam to 90% of the people that looked at it. The seller should consider it a learning experience and put together a better description of his goods next time. The number one goal of anyone selling on craigslist should always be to put potential buyers at ease that they're not about to be ripped off. Clearly the seller didn't do that, and getting his panties in a bunch because you pointed it out to him isn't going to help anyone. And con artists DO post their contact info on CL all the time. How are they going to con you if they can't get you on the phone first?

Also, since everyone else is thinking it, I'll just go ahead and say it: Even with the background info, the post still looks shady as hell to me.

19. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Uh, so dude posted his ad, an interested party contacted him and bought the bass, both seller and buyer and happy... why are you guys getting your panties all wadded up again? :rolleyes:

20. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    it would have helped out a lot if the ad said " discontinued 6 string SX jazz bass with mods" and somewhere in the description it said ( perhaps not in these exact words )

"I have loaded this thing up with blah,blah,blah and that's why I am selling it for 650, and here is a link to my photobucket showing all the mods that were done"

mongolianbass, I agree with pmcherry, SO WHAT if the seller is a TB member. WHO CARES. You don't know him, you don't owe him any money, and your apology is exactly what he wants to hear to try and defend his poorly worded ad to try and bait someone into thinking it is something it is not.

to me it looks like he PURPOSLY blurred out the 2 pictures that would show the SX neckplate and the sticker on the headstock.
    4 crummy blurry pictures or a poorly worded description for an item that someone is trying to sell for a lot of money is always going to get some public ridicule.