Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crazy Custom Idea

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jimmys, Feb 9, 2006.

1. jimmys

jimmys

Dec 26, 2005
    Here's my story...
    I'm in the market for a new bass (I don't have one at the moment), I'm torn between a Lakland Skyline Glaub and a Stringray. But, I dig the retro looks of the Gibson SG style. I had an idea- I could sum all my favorites into one by using Warmoth parts. Idea:
    SG body (ash), LP style neck, MM & P routings, Gotoh 204 with through body option. Electronics would be fun to wire but you get the point.

But my question is- Is it possible to do MM and P style pickup routings and keep them in their traditional posistion (distance from bridge)? I guess someone that has one of both would be able to help. Also, does anyone ever had problems with Warmoth parts? Thanks for your input.

(I'm new here- Hey! everyone)

2. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    I have a warmoth fretless neck, and a quick search would show that everyone has nothing but good things to say about warmoth (on the whole). I don't know if they do custom routing though, you could probably give them a call and ask.

3. jimmys

jimmys

Dec 26, 2005
    i saw on their website that you could choose whatever routings you want, i just didn't know if the MM and P bass routing would interfere in space with each other.

4. I just did a quick photoshop, it looks like you could squeeze them both in.

But, my version is very unscientfic.

View attachment 29464

5. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    spacewise you'd be ok, but they would interfere with eachother elecromagnetically. Might sound fantastic, might sound like crap. I'd think there's a reason no one makes one though.

6. xbradx

xbradx

Oct 25, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN
    if you swap the D&G side of the P pickup around so it's closer to the neck, you should be fine.

7. I personally think that the bass's aesthetics would improve if you installed a soapbar precsion pickup vs. the traditional staggered style. It would clean up the look of the bass, and keep things looking even. I think I have seen two or three members here that did a P/MM routing on a a Warmoth before... Awhile back I had major *GAS* for a bass with this config... Not to say I'm over it, it's just lapsed for a bit.:rolleyes:

-ryan-

8. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Im not very familiar with P basses but I would of thought that the two pick ups would be in the way of each other. But if its been done its been done and might work. However it might be a better Idea to go for a P/J setup and replace the J with a MM pickup. Sort of a neck MM and a bridge J....or vice versa. This would leave it looking less cramped and more even.

Anyways its not a question that a quick trip to your local shop with a measuring tape wont sort out.

9. It's actually pretty common to see a SC/H (single coil/humbucker) or J/H setup these days. I know Ibanez uses this on their RD series, and I'm pretty sure The Bass Company offers this setup as well.

Now a Humbucker up front and a Single Coil in the rear is a more uncommon setup. I honestly don't recall a bass using that configuration before. I have seen Spector do the soapbar Split Coil up front and a Single Coil in the back, but that's about as close as I've ever seen before. Would look interesting, no matter how practical it really is.

-ryan-

10. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Melancon makes a MM/P...